Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Engineering Leader, Kafka Developer Platform
Mountain View, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
Kafka Developer platform is one of the strategic organizations in the Kafka product organization whose mission is to materialize data in motion vision at Confluent. They are responsible for reimagining the experience of consuming Kafka and other data in motion technologies by our customers whether they are on-premise or cloud or hybrid.
We are looking for a leader who can take an existing product and put it in the hands of thousands of customers to manage their hundreds of thousands of clusters, and build new solutions for our customers to fully embrace the vision of data in motion.
As a leader, you will be responsible for running different horizontal and vertical functions from user-experience to building a control-plane for a Saas product across cloud providers to enabling users to consume data in motion anytime and anywhere.
Chart your own path and take healthy risks with the backing and support of our #OneTeam culture. Be part of inclusive initiatives like Employee Resource Groups and development programs, and take advantage of benefits that support our diverse global teams. Grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
What you will do:
- Lead a team of engineers - provide feedback and support their career development.
- Drive the definition, design, and delivery of cutting edge features for Kafka on Confluent Cloud and Confluent Platform
- Improve performance, reliability, scalability, and elasticity of Kafka, especially as a cloud-native product
- Deliver high impact to the business by driving technical initiatives within your team and across the organization.
- Create competitive advantages for Confluent by driving technical innovation.
- Establish quality standards, design principles, and operational maturity for your team
What we are looking for:
- Experience leading multiple teams
- Experience running remote teams
- Experience running production services
- Ability to hire while ensuring a high hiring bar, keep engineers motivated, coach/mentor, and handle performance management
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems architecture and design
- Great track record of shipping features and project execution. Ability to move fast, iterate on incremental improvements, create sense of urgency, and excellent prioritization skills
- Ability to influence the team, peers, and upper management using effective communication and collaborative techniques; focused on building and maintaining a culture of collaboration within the team
What gives you an edge:
- Ability to bootstrap new services from the ground up and take them to market
- Background in building Cloud control plane
- Background in building messaging infrastructure
- Experience managing different roles i.e. frontend, backend and infra teams
- Experience in building and operating services in the cloud
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.