Attentive®️ is a personalized text messaging platform for innovative brands.
Engineering Manager - Machine Learning
United States of America
Job Description / Skills Required
Attentive is a personalized text messaging platform changing the way consumers interact with businesses and organizations. The company is one of the fastest growing startups in New York City and recently raised a $470 million Series E investment led by Coatue in March 2021. Other investors in Attentive include Bain Capital Ventures, Sequoia, IVP.
We work with 3,500+ of the most innovative brands like Coach, Urban Outfitters, CB2, Pura Vida, Lulus, and Jack in the Box. Attentive was founded in 2016 by the co-founders of TapCommerce, a mobile marketing platform that was acquired by Twitter in 2014.
The Data & Machine Learning Engineering teams at Attentive are responsible for data ingestion and curation across our growing suite of products to be used in client reports, client analytics, targeting, predictive analytics, and machine learning.
We are seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to grow and lead a team of Software Engineers and Machine Learning Engineers. Reporting to Attentive’s Director of Data & Machine Learning, you will be responsible for driving the strategy and execution of predictive analytics and machine learning features for Attentives campaign products. You’ll work closely with other Engineering teams, Product Management, Data Scientists, and Analysts as we scale Machine Learning and Data Science initiatives across the company.
This is a hands-on role where you are expected to balance people management, cross-functional leadership, and coding. You should be comfortable letting your tech leads take true ownership of projects while keeping enough of an eye on things to make sure the train stays on track. If you are a self-starter, motivated by making a huge impact, and a great communicator, then you may be a good fit for this role.
You at Attentive:
- You will be an effective people manager who also has the capability to contribute as a highly technical hands-on infrastructure engineer when the need arises
- You have experience building scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems
- You have extensive experience using machine learning, data mining, statistical techniques, or similar, to build scalable systems and data-driven products, working with cross-functional teams
- You will hold your own in technical and business discussions with the product team and the rest of the engineering organization
- You can understand the business of your customers, identify problems or opportunities then address them using technology
- Partner with Product Management, Data Scientists, and Engineering to translate customer needs into a better overall product
- You will write simple yet elegant, readable, and well-documented code
- You can apply an entrepreneurial approach and passion to problem-solving and building products
- You've built and shipped complex software products
- Experience managing a high-performance team
Product Development at Attentive:
- Our backend is Java and Python microservices coupled with Spark, Flink, Kinesis, AirFlow, Snowflake, MySql, Postgres, and Redis all hosted on AWS
- Our front end is built on current best practices leveraging Babel, Webpack, React, and Redux
- Our team is 200+ engineers, product managers, and designers from top tech companies including Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Moat, Oscar, and AppNexus
- We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation
- To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data-driven decision-making
Benefits & Perks:
- Robust health benefits packages including access to a 401k and various medical, dental and vision plans, and $100/month fitness reimbursement
- Full support for remote work
- Daily lunch delivery credit and other goodies sent to home
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- Generous annual education stipend toward job-related external learning opportunities
- An extremely enthusiastic team that appreciates collaboration
Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re committed to diversity and maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. We’re committed to them because our core values demand it - values like Integrity First, Listening & Cultivating Discussion, and Default to Action. We believe in embracing “self” and that our true strength lies in the diversity of our employees. For this reason, applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any protected status under federal, state, or local law.