Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, maintains the world’s largest database of genetic and phenotypic information from research participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team based in South San Francisco uses this unparalleled dataset to discover and develop novel treatments for patients with serious unmet needs.
Biological interpretation of genetic signals available to 23andMe requires computational methods to analyze high-throughput functional data, development of tools that integrate genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery, and summarizing the results in ways that enable efficient decision making. Join our Computational Biology group as we continue to innovate genetics-based drug discovery!
Who you are
We are seeking a scientific engineer with extensive experience in bioinformatics, passionate about helping people by advancing drug development for diseases with unmet medical need. Ideal candidates will bring significant experience working with large genomic databases and developing robust software tools that drive scientific discovery.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with our Computational Biology team on computational resources needed to drive our science forward
- Be the thought leader in proposing and implementing best practices in big data management
- Maintain, improve and extend existing R packages and pipelines developed by 23andMe, and develop new R code as needed
- Maintain, improve and scale our data resources to support the interpretation of genetic and functional genomics results
- Serve as liaison with members of the Engineering, AWS, IT, and Bioinformatics teams and act as the Computational Biology stakeholder in joint company-wide initiatives
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. -- or Master's with at least 5 years of work experience in a research setting -- in Computational Biology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics or a related field
- Strong development skills in R, and demonstrated ability to write R packages for broad use
- Experience working with SQL and relational databases
- Extensive experience in writing robust code in a shared development environment
- Experience in deploying internally developed tools in a production environment
- Effective communication skills and experience communicating software or database design to colleagues
- Contribution to an open source project, especially in R
- Hands-on experience working with very large genomic datasets
Note: Job title will be commensurate with work experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.