23andMe is seeking an experienced, strategic and highly creative person to direct and build its global social media marketing efforts. Working to create top-tier strategies, breakthrough creative content and use both established and emerging platforms, this person will direct all social media activities to help engage new and existing customers in ways that ultimately drive acquisition and retention of 23andMe+, our membership service.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge on how to use social media to strategically build brands, create attention and promote user advocacy on a global scale. This person will direct a team that is actively seeking to raise the bar for strategic approach, creative development and execution within the social media space. The ideal candidate is a combination of business leader, visionary, inventor, builder and operator.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
Reporting into the VP, Marketing, this candidate will develop robust, integrated paid and earned social media strategies that promote engagement and advocacy for 23andMe in a new way. This person will develop and manage a broad strategy to innovate and set exceptional standards for social media marketing. They will develop and guide a team that can create and implement highly shareable content that is creative, attention-getting and on-brand. This person is expected to work closely with internal advertising and PR teams, including agencies. They will ensure that social media plans are effectively integrated into brand marketing and paid media efforts, as well as use any potential earned and owned media opportunities.
They will partner with social media platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snap, TikTok, Clubhouse, Twitter, as well as seek out and develop new and emerging platforms that can help us grow our customer base and brand. They will have a track record of developing highly creative social media marketing campaigns and will have demonstrated the ability to think big and implement innovative ideas in ways that create significant social sharing and PR attention.
They will have knowledge on the capabilities of social media and its ability to interact with a wide range of audiences, and how to use those capabilities to develop a range of strategies and content forms that social media users want to share with their networks. They will create and implement best practices, mechanisms and measurement tools that provide enhanced opportunities to engage audiences and use the benefits of social media platforms, while demonstrating the knowledge on how social media activities can be integrated and activated through other traditional marketing activities in any given campaign or activity.
You will have the opportunity to build and direct an in-house team, work with agencies, and partner with social media platforms to develop and implement plans. This candidate will have the opportunity to develop and build a team of their own. The right candidate is able to work cooperatively with other internal stakeholders in product and PR, while helping to install the infrastructure for us to create at a rapid pace and test, deliver, and adapt. The ideal candidate will offer a unique blend of creative instincts, social media marketing aptitude, measurement and executive management skills.
- Manage the development of a strategic social media marketing plan and its associated budget across campaigns and channels.
- Work with agencies, publishers, platforms (directly and indirectly) and other partners with the goal to find fast, creative and efficient ways to build, execute and measure innovative social media marketing plans that speak to customers, maximize engagement and create sharing, talk value and advocacy.
- Direct the development and direct the implementation of a wide range of content forms, including video, text, still imagery, animation, live action and other content forms that best utilize the technology available on any given social media/digital platform.
- Work with 23andMe teams across business units to develop and administer creative ideas, plans and strategies.
- Manage the content development relationships with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snap, Clubhouse, TikTok and other primary partnerships.
- Develop partnerships and productive working relationships with product science teams, Therapeutics, PR and other related stakeholders to build content opportunities and integrate into strategic and tactical planning.
- Provide inspirational and creative and thought leadership on ways to reach and gain attention of new and existing target audiences.
- Manage teams that plan and carry out campaigns, on time, on budget, to scope.
- Work closely with the analytics teams to integrate and measure the value and impact of our social media marketing opportunities.
- Manage external agencies and publishing partners as necessary for that which we cannot do internally.
- Establish repeatable operational methodologies and mechanisms that enable frugal, fast content development and distribution.
What you’ll bring:
- BS in relevant discipline.
- 12+ years experience in paid/earned social media marketing and creative development.
- 8+ years of management experience and growing/mentoring teams.
- Track record of managing big picture ideas and strategy.
- Experience, passion and a love for influencer marketing.
- Experience, passion and a love for building a global community through social.
- Highly educated about the functionality of all applicable social media platforms.
- Experience guiding small and large teams within an organization.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent presentation skills to both executive-level and agency partners.
- Track record to hire and manage a team.
- Proactive person who thrives in a high-pressure, ambiguous environment, bringing both creativity and analytical skills to deliver results.
- Multicultural experience is a plus.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.