Robinhood lets you learn to invest in the stock market for free.
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the competitive products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2020
- TIME100 Most Influential Companies 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces in Financial Services & Insurance™ 2021 and Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials™ 2021
Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the role
As a Backend Engineer (Intern), you will be building and owning certain backend services and infrastructure that power our core financial products. You will also gain a unique look into how the US financial systems works on the inside and strengthen your financial-domain knowledge.
We have internship opportunities available for Winter 2022, Summer 2022, and Fall 2022. You may share your preferences with your Recruiter as you progress in the interview process.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Having a dedicated mentor who will help you navigate through your internship and Robinhood as a whole. From onboarding you on to our tech stack to teaching you about the financial domain, your mentor will get you ramped up and ready to make an impact- all while showing you what it means to be a Robinhoodie!
- Designing, building, testing, and releasing software solutions with stringent correctness and scalability requirements
- Partnering with various cross-functional teams to solve critical problems across the Robinhood organization
- Working with other financial institutions to build products and gain insight into the industry
- Maintaining and scaling an existing codebase
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time, degree-seeking program with an expected graduation date in 2023
- Strong CS fundamentals
- Passion and interest for financial technology
- Prior software engineering experience from internships, hackathons, or other side projects
- Familiarity with Python/Django or Go
- Understanding of relational databases and transactions
- Passion for finance and/or desire to learn more about the domain
Technologies we use:
- Python/Django, Go are the main languages and frameworks of choice
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store
- Kafka for event streaming
- Redis and Memcached as our caching layer
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The role associated with the above job description is subject to possible modification due to the shelter-in-place restrictions as a result of the pandemic.
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Robinhood's benefits include generous time off, 401(k) participation with employer match, comprehensive health coverage, a health savings account (HSA), wellness benefits, backup childcare and education stipends (all benefits are subject to applicable taxes and based on eligibility).