Bird is a shared electric scooter company.
United States of America
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 250 cities around the world. And we're just getting started.
Bird is continuing to grow its Controllership team by adding exceptionally talented leaders. We are looking for a motivated and experienced leader to drive the implementation of a robust and complete internal controls program and eventual Internal Audit Department. This leader will be excited to build and maintain a strong control environment and have extensive Sarbanes-Oxley compliance experience. We are looking for a candidate with experience working in fast-paced agile environments with rapidly evolving and maturing processes. The ability to influence and educate the broader organization regarding business process and IT controls is critical. The role is remote.
This is a newly created position within the Controllership organization and is of critical importance given our expected timeline for a SOX implementation. The role will collaborate internally and with a 3rd party vendor to design and implement internal controls over financial reporting, design internal policies and procedures, and establish a controls monitoring program. This position will initially be responsible for activities related to internal controls development, including risk assessment, creation and maintenance of control and risk matrices and process flow diagrams/narratives, performance of design and operating effectiveness assessment, working with cross-functional teams to address areas of risk and reporting on the progress and effectiveness of the controls program. The ideal candidate will have experience working in manufacturing environments and working with internally developed software platforms used to manage the business.
- Lead all phases of the Company’s ongoing internal controls program from planning through reporting - including our initial adoption and implementation of SOX
- Manage and lead a third party vendor to assist with all aspects of the internal control program
- Create, validate and/or rationalize the current documentation of the control environment (e.g., process flows, control matrices) for business processes controls, information technology general controls and entity level controls.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Company’s transactions with process owners to ensure any changes to process are updated and properly assessed.
- Implement reporting processes to measure the controls program for management and the Audit Committee
- Oversee the design and implementation of efficient and effective financial controls across the Company.
- Develop and execute our internal control validation program, including determining the timing of when different testing cycles will be executed during the year, designing test plans, identifying control opportunities, assisting the process owners and reporting the results in a timely manner to executive management.
- Train and guide to all control owners.
- Implement processes to ensure any changes to business processes and controls are updated and assessed periodically.
- Stay current with changes in regulatory guidance and industry leading practices.
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Information Systems, or business discipline, supported by 10+ years work experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of the internal control frameworks (specifically COSO and PCAOB standards) as well as the internal controls concepts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SOX requirements and ability to assist with documentation of ITGCs and business process controls to support operational as well as SOX compliance audits.
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Certifications such as, but not limited to CISA, CPA, CIA and CFE.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, childcare support, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, a wellness stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.