Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Embark Trucks is a leading self-driving truck company bringing autonomous freight mainstream. We have raised $117m by partnering with Tiger Global ($70m Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30m Series B) to help grow our team and introduce our technology to the public. Currently, we move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose-built transfer hubs. We have aligned ourselves with truck manufacturers, shippers, and carriers to integrate our technology into the freight ecosystem, pursuing a business model where fleets own and operate our trucks. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous vehicles and our team is looking to grow.
Data is core to everything that we do at Embark. Our fleet of self-driving trucks generate petabytes of valuable data from the road, and this data powers all of our engineering processes that enable us to deliver on our mission. From training machine learning algorithms, to generating and executing simulations in which we can measure the performance of our virtual driver across a wide variety of scenarios, to extracting insights from road data to drive our engineering decisions, data is fundamental to everything that we do, and the data infrastructure team builds the pipelines, architectures, APIs, and processes that power all of this.
As a software engineer on the data infrastructure team, you’ll help make all of this possible.
- Maintain the on-vehicle code responsible for data collection, monitoring and real-time communication with our backend systems (supporting use cases such as real-time low-latency streaming of sensors such as camera and LiDAR over LTE) while also building the backend systems that power all of this.
- Evaluate, architect, and deploy new database systems and data pipelines to enable our engineering team to gain richer insights into our data
- Build scalable data pipelines which operate over petabytes of autonomous vehicle data to extract useful features, enable advanced queries, and feed machine learning models and simulation environments
- Deploy, build, and maintain infrastructure that ingests terabytes of data uploaded from our vehicles on a daily basis. This includes the software and hardware, as well as the operational processes that power this system.
- 3+ years architecting and maintaining systems that process and store large amounts of data
- Significant experience with Python, C++, Go, or similar
- 2+ years experience managing distributed data processing frameworks such as Spark and Hadoop; significant, direct experience writing jobs using such frameworks
- 3+ years experience working with AWS and/or GCP
- Experience with classical relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience working with distributed message brokers like Kafka, Kinesis, or RabbitMQ
- Experience managing large Kubernetes clusters powering microservice-oriented architectures
- A full time, competitive salary with equity
- Flexible paid vacation from the start
- 100% of the base insurance option covered for Medical, Dental, and Vision and a buy-up option for other plans
- Life insurance covered by Embark
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account & 401K Plan
- Snacks & catered lunches
- Work in a fast-growing startup revolutionizing transportation as we know it
At Embark we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Embark in the Press: