Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a User Experience Researcher - Data Engine Experience.
In this role, you will
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to help research, brainstorm, and deliver the product experience for some of our most critical data-driven human insight and machine intelligence tools to enable faster autonomy progress
- Design and conduct qualitative studies, including field observations and interviews, remote and in-person usability studies for existing and future products
- Design and conduct quantitative studies, such as structuring and analyzing surveys to evaluate the impact of product changes and capture insights at scale
- Identify and explore new opportunities through creative research methods and co-design sessions to help define product roadmaps, vision, and strategy
- Collaborate with other researchers, designers, product managers, data scientists, marketing and operations managers, and engineers to ensure research you deliver is coordinated into every aspect of the product and provides a holistic view of our users
- Synthesize and communicate research findings to advise business decisions through rich storytelling via presentations, reports, workshops and any other novel, creative approaches that you invent
- Adapt and innovate research methods to meet product needs by delivering high-quality insights in a fast-paced work environment, and by contextualizing for specific use cases across autonomy development products
- Build insight across the organization to improve the products we build for our users and always a champion for our users
- Ship, measure, and improve the designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback.
- Identify future opportunities, working as a key thought partner to your counterparts in product and engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience conducting user research for products across development to market.
- BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Statistics, Psychology, Computer Science, Anthropology, Communications, Information Science, Sociology, or equivalent practical experience
- MS or Ph.D. degree in HCI, Psychology, Statistics, Computer Science
- Track record of demonstrating excellent command of research questions within a given domain and of technical tools for the analysis of data within that domain
- Previous experience driving research programs that have had a lasting impact on product and design decisions
- Familiarity with a programming language commonly used for data manipulation and computational statistics (such as Python, R, Matlab, C++, Java or Go), and in SQL
- Previous experience conducting research in other global regions and working on products with global impact
- Previous experience identifying, onboarding, and leading external research, translation, transcription, and tools vendors
- Ability to work collaboratively with people from all disciplines and levels.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to the team and stakeholders
- Ability to travel 25% of time (Post COVID)
#LI - AL1
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.