Bird is a shared electric scooter company.
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 250 cities around the world. And we're just getting started.
The Vehicle Engineering team is looking to add a Sr Embedded Controls Engineer to assist with top level vehicle behavior and dynamics design and verification.
- Develop control algorithms in MATLAB/Simulink, on customized DSPs and processors
- Integrate production firmware with MATLAB/Simulink auto-generated code
- Develop custom instructions to accelerate algorithms
- Design and implement control algorithms for electric machines in Simulink and C
- Create unit tests for control algorithms in Simulink
- Test and verify algorithms in dynamometer and in vehicle
- Post process test data from vehicle and dynamometer to identify issues and develop improvements
- First point of contact for vehicle control behavior issues
- Diagnose vehicle behavior issue
- Design and run validation tests for regressions
- Diagnostics development for controls and related sensors
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar field
- 3-5 years of professional experience in MATLAB/Simulink development. Minimum 3 years of experience with auto code generation using MATLAB/Simulink
- 3-4 years of experience with embedded software development
- Minimum 2 years of experience with CAN, I2C, SPI, Ethernet, LIN
- Work experience with Confluence, JIRA, BitBucket, Git
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with limited supervision
- Deep understanding and experience of vehicle dynamics theory and application. Knowledge of multibody simulation of vehicle attributes. Develop models and tune vehicle systems including braking, stability, driveline dynamics, tires
- Strong expertise with Matlab/Simulink model-based design and automatic code generation
- Experience with developing simulation plant models in Simulink. Develop component- system- and vehicle-level virtual models, and rapidly iterate designs through simulation to achieve desired vehicle attributes
- Experience with vehicle algorithm development through simulation, test data acquisition and analysis, or on-vehicle prototype testing and debugging controls issues in vehicle
- Calibrating simulation model with physical test results to reduce modeling error
- State estimation and sensor modeling techniques
- Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace, automotive, or similar environment
- Good knowledge in Vehicle Electrical Architecture - CAN/LIN/Ethernet. Experience with CANape, CANalyzer, and SPI communication tools
- Ability to read schematics, bring-up PCBA, troubleshoot, and debug embedded systems using lab tools and measurement equipment (oscilloscopes, debuggers and logic analyzers, etc) a plus
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, childcare support, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, a wellness stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.