Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Sr. Director, Internal Audit
Mountain View, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the Role
As the Senior Director of Internal Audit you will provide leadership over risk management, internal controls, and SOX compliance in a newly public company. Reporting to the CFO and directly supporting the charter of the company’s Audit Committee, this role will evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the company’s governance, operations, and systems to drive actions to mitigate risks. This role will initially focus on ensuring the successful implementation of the SOX program and will expand to strategic risk management and the oversight of the efficacy and efficiency of business operations.
What you'll do
- Provide leadership in driving a company-wide culture of integrity and process effectiveness while conveying the value of a strong control environment
- Drive implementation of consistent financial reporting risk identification, assessment, and control process throughout the organization through close partnership with business leaders
- Oversee all financial reporting risk and control activities, including the SOX framework over business processes and ITGCs such as the design and implementation of key controls over financial reporting, management’s testing, and remediation of control gaps
- Communicate significant risks and/or control issues to the Audit Committee
- Coach and develop a team of 2 internal auditors and oversee the performance of 3rd party consultants
- Partner with the Cloud Engineering team to ensure financial reporting controls over our internally developed systems are operating as designed
- Collaborate with business process owners, system engineers, and technical support staff in the identification of efficiencies and process enhancements
- Develop a strategic plan for the continued evolution of the internal control framework, including but not limited to enterprise risk management, risk-based audits, and process improvement reviews
- Maintain professional relationships with Confluent's auditors/advisors
What we're looking for
- 15+ years of relevant general accounting experience and/or managing in an Internal Audit department or in a senior leadership role within the audit function (deep SOX experience is mandatory)
- A blend of public accounting and industry experience with a public company and technical expertise in SOX
- Experience working within a fast-paced organization along with demonstrated ability to influence across functions and regions, at all levels without direct authority
- Strong proven leadership capability with developed skills in team building, motivating, and developing people
- Ability to problem solve as a constructive business partner, providing insight and analysis and proposing solutions in order to drive the desired results
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with the ability to synthesize and communicate business issues and solutions with the ability to represent the company professionally at an executive level
- Strong analytical capabilities, process improvement and organization skills
- Experience facilitating training and awareness relating to SOX initiatives on a global basis
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of Internal Control, Compliance and Governance regulations and new auditing techniques and practices
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.