Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Principal Engineer, Connect [Remote - USA]
Mountain View, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the Role:
As a Principal Engineer in the Connect Engineering Organization, you will be working closely with the team and other key stakeholders to design, architect and build out our Cloud Infrastructure and ever expanding Connector Portfolio to achieve our mission of ubiquitous connectivity. As a senior technical leader, you think strategically and you help drive end-to-end technical delivery from customer experience to scaling internal operations. You are not confined to the status quo and you leverage your expertise in Cloud-native, large-scale distributed systems to help take our platform to the next level. You worry about key operational aspects (availability, reliability, performance, monitoring, emergency response, capacity planning, disaster recovery) of our Connect Cloud Infrastructure, and you make sure that we have a highly-available, resilient and secure offering that our largest customers can rely on. If you love the hum of big data systems, thinking about how to make them run as smoothly as possible, and want to have a big influence on the architecture plus operational design points of this new product, then you will fit right in.
What You'll Do:
- Be part of driving the overall technical charter for Connect -- including, but not limited to cloud infrastructure, big data systems, and security
- Work closely with product management and engineering management to build and drive the overall roadmap for Confluent’s Connect business
- Deliver high impact to the business by driving important technical initiatives in areas comprising (but not limited to) operational improvements, stability, reliability, quality, developer productivity, architectural hygiene, and major component refactor across organizational boundaries
- Be as a strong technical leader and representative for engineering across the Connect organization
- Lead the team and the product on aspects of product definition, architectural design, and delivery
Who You Are:
- Smart, humble, and empathetic
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and are excited about team and company success
- Driven and excited about challenges of a fast-paced, innovative software startup environment
What we're looking for:
- 10+ years of experience in delivering scalable software solutions
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, highly available, low latency, high quality systems
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in large scale systems engineering or distributed systems
- Expertise in several technologies across big data, messaging systems, object stores, and SaaS application
- Experience in cloud infrastructure and cloud service security
- Experience in driving operational excellence for large, production services
- Experience working in large private or public clouds
- Track record of providing technical leadership and mentorship
- Track record of working collaboratively across teams and roles, including but not limited to product management, UX, and other engineering teams and leaders.
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.