Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Developer Community Advocate - US/UK
Mountain View, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the role:
As a Community Advocate at Confluent, you are a driven and well-organized engineer ready to help cultivate and educate the global Kafka community to help make sure it thrives. You are friendly, outgoing, and want to help make an already-successful developer community even better. You are good at building relationships from scratch and keeping track of your interactions while still being great at maintaining relationships with a large number of people and keeping them motivated and encouraged about the technology, both for beginners getting started and more advanced users looking to understand the latest thinking in stream processing. You are interested in how they are using the technology and are a bridge between the Community and the Community Team. You have experience working in developer relations teams.
Reporting to the Global Community Manager and working remotely or in a local office, you will help the team advance its mission:building a foundational platform for data in motion - based on Apache Kafka
What you’ll be doing:
- You are the heart and soul of the event streaming and Apache Kafka technical community and actively stay on top of all nascent trends: Important new blogs, meetups, conference talks, etc. on event streaming
- KIP Proposals, Apache Kafka dev and user mailgroups.
- New GitHub projects that complement Kafka in different ways
- New features on Confluent Developer and Confluent Cloud, particularly developments around learning.
- You use your knowledge of what’s going on in the event streaming community to drive the conversation on our various social channels.
- As you interact with different members you monitor their activity, learning about community members, what they do, etc. and building on those learnings as you kick start new conversations.
- Layer the benefits of cloud into community interactions where appropriate.
- As new customers sign up to the cloud product, welcome new members to the community via our online platforms.
- Assist in community events—research the best events for Confluent and recommend at which ones we should be present
- Attend meetups in order to build excitement to the attendees, engage with them in conversation and get them talking about their projects or their journey with the technology, and direct people to the right Confluent resources
- Create presentations with novel and interesting content.
- Speak at meetups and conferences, developing your speaking and writing skills alongside Confluent’s Developer Advocate Team
- Keep track of various metrics required by members of the team and stakeholders (eg: daily interactions, unanswered questions, Catalysts content contributions, etc)
- Be the main point of contact for the community across the various digital platforms like Slack, Discourse, etc
- Practicing engineer that understands what developers need and how they interact with the world.
- Interest in social engagement, particularly in online communication.
- Inquisitive, confident, keen to learn.
- Growth mindset.
- Enjoys teaching and helping others.
- Excellent ability to communicate with colleagues and external figures
- Ability to work remotely and excel in an independent way
- Unremittingly kind and positive attitude
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.