Attentive®️ is a personalized text messaging platform for innovative brands.
Senior Data Engineer - Platform
United States of America
Job Description / Skills Required
Attentive is a personalized text messaging platform changing the way consumers interact with businesses and organizations. The company is one of the fastest growing startups in New York City and recently raised a $470 million Series E investment led by Coatue in March 2021. Other investors in Attentive include Bain Capital Ventures, Sequoia, IVP.
We work with 4,000+ of the most innovative brands like Coach, Urban Outfitters, CB2, Pura Vida, Lulus, and Jack in the Box. Attentive was founded in 2016 by the co-founders of TapCommerce, a mobile marketing platform that was acquired by Twitter in 2014.
Attentive's service-oriented architecture relies heavily on data streams to asynchronously communicate between teams and services. The Event Platform team provides a streaming platform as a service to make that communication simple to use and highly scalable. As a result, we provide tooling and infrastructure used by nearly every engineering team.
We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to be a technical leader of our growing Event Platform team. You’ll be responsible for all things streaming, a core stream processing engine, self-service tooling to support hundreds of data streams, highly configurable and tunable dataflows, and so on.
We’ll expect you to have an in-depth knowledge of distributed systems and data flows. Combined with an understanding of business intelligence and performance requirements, you’ll breathe life into Attentive’s event platform and help make it an invaluable part of the platform and business. If you are a self-starter, excited about building a culture around data-driven decisions, motivated by making an impact, and pushing the boundaries of your knowledge, you will excel here and do great things!
You at Attentive:
- Design and build a self-service event platform using state-of-the-art technology
- Lead the burgeoning Event Platform engineering team
- Establish best practices and standards for managing high volume multi-region streams
- Build automation for ingestion of a myriad of data sources
- Work closely with engineering teams across Attentive, enabling them to build new features using our self service event platform
- Identify ways to automate and measure stream reliability, efficiency, and quality
- Experience designing, developing, and maintaining a high-throughput and low-latency ETL pipeline
- You are knowledgeable about data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques
- Proficient with Apache Flink, Apache Spark, or Apache Beam
- Experience with big data tools such as Kinesis, Kafka, Amazon EMR, or Pulsar
- Successfully implemented event based applications and pipelines in the public cloud, especially Amazon Web Services
- You have a proven track record of building applications that maintain a high bar of quality
- You understand how to negotiate with Product Management to meet the user’s needs without sacrificing quality or accruing tech debt
- You deeply loathe regressions and take proactive steps to protect against them through a variety of testing techniques
- You are excited by new technologies but are conscious of choosing them for the right reasons
- You are constantly improving the quality of the project you are working on, both via code contributions as well as long-term advocacy for larger-scale changes
- You are enthusiastic about the high impact, fast-paced work environment of an early-stage startup
Product Development at Attentive:
- Our backend is Java and Python microservices coupled with DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, MySql, Postgres, and Redis. Our front end is built on current best practices leveraging Babel, Webpack, React, and Redux
- Our data backend is Java and Python microservices coupled with Spark, Kinesis, AirFlow, Snowflake, and Postgres, all hosted on AWS
- Our team is 200+ engineers, product managers, and designers from top tech companies including Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Moat, Oscar, and AppNexus
- We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation. To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data-driven decision-making
Benefits & Perks:
- Robust health benefits packages including access to a 401k and various medical, dental and vision plans, and $100/month fitness reimbursement
- Full support for remote work
- Daily lunch delivery credit and other goodies sent to home
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- Generous annual education stipend toward job-related external learning opportunities
- An extremely enthusiastic team that appreciates collaboration
Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re committed to diversity and maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. We’re committed to them because our core values demand it - values like Integrity First, Listening & Cultivating Discussion, and Default to Action. We believe in embracing “self” and that our true strength lies in the diversity of our employees. For this reason, applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any protected status under federal, state, or local law.