Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Manager, Solutions Engineering (Malaysia)
Kuala Lumpur, MY
Job Description / Skills Required#LinkedIn
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favourite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organisations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organisation. With Confluent, organisations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energised to roll up their sleeves and help realise Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
The Manager, Solutions Engineering will be responsible for building and maintaining an effective team of Pre-sales Solutions Engineers dedicated to working hand in hand with Account Executives and Sales Managers to achieve shared revenue goals. An effective SE Manager will build trusted advisor relationships with employees, customers, and partners. The SE Manager will focus on achieving the “technical win” on opportunities by providing accurate and compelling proposed solutions with a clear value proposition and plan of success. SE Manager is expected to coach and mentor the SEs as well as be a strategic partner to the Enterprise Sales Managers.
What the role entails:
- An experienced Pre-Sales Engineering Manager with at least 3 years of experience managing a highly effective team in a high growth phase of the company. SE Managers are expected to be player-coaches.
- They should have technical and sales skills and be seen as a pre-sales leader by example as much as a manager of people.
- Lead a team of systems engineers to deliver pre-sales technical support in sales presentations, solution development, and product demonstrations of Event Streaming Platform capabilities.
- Strategise with Sales Management on how to best support our customers, define sales processes and grow Confluent value.
- Lead, grow, and mentor your team to develop and maintain the hard skills necessary to deliver proposed solutions and the surrounding ecosystem - Microservices, Linux, Kubernetes, Cloud Deployments, Data Sources and Sinks.
- Lead, grow, and mentor your team to develop and maintain the soft skills necessary to deliver, generate credibility and work effectively on a sales team - Preparation and documentation, technical discovery, objections handling and champions building.
- Develop and improve processes and procedures to minimise errors, maximise efficiencies and ensure the team can scale rapidly.
- Conduct management functions such as interview/hire qualified candidates, conduct performance reviews, and actively participate in employee career planning to help them achieve their long-term goals, reduce churn, increase employee satisfaction, manage underperformance.
- Work with SalesOps and HR to design and administer compensation plans, administer bonuses, performance reviews, skills development. Handle conflict or other HR issues that might arise within the team or between individuals across the organisation and build on Confluent’s #oneteam company values.
- Selectively conduct customer presentations on the value proposition and technical solution set for strategic accounts and focus areas throughout the region.
- Responsible for review and approve Proof of Concept strategy and documentation.
- Collect, prioritise, and escalate Field Feedback requests to help guide the Confluent roadmap and maximise revenue and customer success.
- Consistently recognise areas where we can become more proactive and create a differentiated offering or employee experience.
Ideally, your should possess:
- Five or more years of experience in a pre-sales engineering environment or similar customer-facing role
- Experience with technical sales of distributed systems, middleware, and enterprise infrastructure software like databases, message queues, SaaS, or Big Data products
- Exceptional presentation and communications capabilities. Confidence presenting to a highly skilled and experienced audience, including enterprise architects and C-level executives
- Clear, consistent demonstration of self-starter behaviour and a desire to tackle hard problems
- Bachelor’s level degree in Computer Science or relevant experience
- Track record of success in interviewing, hiring and developing a well performing team
- Previous experience building solutions within the Apache Kafka ecosystem
- Experience selling an Open Source or Open Core product or service
- Experience selling, building, or operating large-scale distributed systems for enterprise
- Experience with Traditional Middleware, Databases, Microservice development, and legacy system modernization
- Experience selling a Fully Managed SaaS product or transitioning from on-prem software to SaaS model
- Experience with technical and commercial aspects of Public and Private Clouds
- Experience managing highly distributed remote teams
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.