Join 23andMe in our mission is to be the world's trusted source of personal genetic information. We are seeking an outstanding Sr. Software Engineer who wants to challenge and push the boundaries of technology and science.
You will define and design compelling new features, and contribute innovative solutions to challenging engineering problems to make those features real and perform at scale. You'll lead by example and share your product delivery wisdom, wit, and experience across the team. Join our growing Engineering team and enjoy a collaborative environment with small project teams working on a variety of tasks ranging from web and application development to genotype data processing.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
About The Team (CORE)
The Core team is a collaborative group of engineers, product managers, designers, and scientists that work in small, project-based teams to deliver life-changing product features directly to customers on our web and native platforms. We use cutting-edge science to help our millions of customers better understand their ancestral origins and personal health risks, then help them use this knowledge in a meaningful way. We know that great ideas come from everywhere and that every member of the team contributes to our continued success.
What you'll do
- Evolve and support the core, user-facing product through which millions of our customers regularly receive new genetic insights and discoveries
- Deliver secure, high-quality, and testable code on time
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering teams on the strategic vision for our product roadmap
- Thoughtfully break down functional and technical requirements into clean architectures and designs
- Develop web applications built in the cloud
- Drive technical excellence through code and design reviews
- Evolve and improve existing backend systems to support our ambitious product roadmap
- Mentor other engineers and become a contributor to our engineering culture
What you'll bring
- BS in Engineering or related field with a minimum of 5 years’ industry experience
- Experience leading projects from planning phase to delivery
- Experience building consumer-facing web applications by designing RESTful APIs on the backend and creating rich UIs on the frontend
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Experience working comfortably and effectively in a highly collaborative environment
- Working knowledge of Python and/or significant exposure to different programming languages and paradigms
- Solid understanding and experience with web security best practices
- An interest and desire to learn more about consumer genetics
Tools we use and teach
- AWS, Docker
- Python, Django
- HTML, CSS/SCSS
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.