Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Software Engineer, Cloud Native Kafka [Remote-AMER]
Mountain View, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
We are a team of passionate engineers who love solving complex distributed systems and infrastructure problems. Real-time infrastructure is the future and we are creating a new category for it - Data in Motion. If you are interested in building a better world with this new category or building a Saas infrastructure that spans multi-cloud, then come join us. We are re-imagining Apache Kafka as a cloud native data service - fully serverless, elastic, multi-tenant and at scale. You will work on building the next generation Kafka by continuing to push the boundaries of distributed system design. Our goal is to make Kafka a completely hands-free, serverless experience for customers, running at the largest scale imaginable for the lowest cost of ownership. We contribute to open source Apache Kafka deployed in production environments by several organizations' in the world. Here are examples of some of the challenges we’ve taken on in recent years:Scaling Kafka to 10+ GB/s
Who You Are:
- Driven and excited about challenges in an innovative hyper-growth startup environment.
- Customer-focused - making customers more successful by taking on their most challenging problems motivates you
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and able to make decisions that benefit the team and company
- Identify root causes, and get beyond treating symptoms - motivated to dig deep and solve hard problems
What We're Looking For:
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- Solid understanding of operating systems
- Experience running production services in cloud
- A self-starter with the ability to work effectively in teams
- Proficiency in any of these Java, C/C++, Go, .NET
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar field or equivalent and 4+ years of equivalent work experience
What Gives You An Edge:
- Experience building and operating large-scale systems
- Interest in developing and refining algorithms, working on algorithmic problems
- In-depth familiarity with the JVM
- Experience in the areas of resource management and QoS
- Interest in evangelism (giving talks at tech conferences, writing blog posts evangelizing Kafka)
- Experience working on databases or data storage
- Solid experience working with large public clouds
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.