Online, self-serve life insurance company.
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes!
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr.
We are listed in Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020. And for exciting news about our growth check out Life-Insurance Startup Ethos Valued at More Than $2.7 Billion. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
The Insurance Platform team owns some of the most impactful and critical insurance services. These services enable Ethos to create differentiated and frictionless experiences for our users. This is a broad scope and the charter directly contributes to our desire to improve accessibility and speed of Insurance transactions on our platform.
As a SW Architect with the Insurance Platform team, you'll be responsible for design, quality and scalability of our services. You will regularly strategize with Product Engineering leadership and help take pragmatic decisions on long term vs fast paced projects.
You will pay close attention to the gaps in architecture, scalability and maintainability of the systems and help build technical roadmap for an important product area.
You will work closely with other engineers to build and ship Insurance Platform’s key features. You will have a broad problem scope which will require collaboration across product teams and functions.
Further, you will lead with example and help build a solid engineering culture. You will have loosely held strong opinions about SW engineering best practices and you will strive to make your team more efficient every day. You will participate in mentoring and development of the engineers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in planning and prioritization
- Write technical specifications and design documents
- Contribute individually as well as through others to ship high quality software
- Design, build, and maintain Insurance Platform API and services
- Write efficient, modular, and reusable components and abstractions
- Design and build internal tooling to improve development efficiency
- Code Review
- Improve engineering best practices and mentor other engineers
- Represent the team internally and externally
Qualifications and Skills:
- 10+ years of full time engineering experience
- Expertise building impactful and complex distributed systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate with both technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Experienced with software engineering best practices – design patterns, code reviews, unit and integration testing, etc.
- Expertise working with API Gateways. Ability to design clean APIs and understanding of performance issues.
- Experience with service mesh. Experience applying microservice design patterns
- Experience working with containerization and orchestration technologies.
- Expert in SQL, database design, and familiarity with PostgreSQL
- Command over front-end web technologies such as HTML, CSS, React
- Solid CS fundamentals – including data structures and algorithms
- Understanding of security, common attacks and defenses
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.