Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
The Vehicle I/O team at Aurora is responsible for managing all core components of data in transit on Aurora’s self-driving fleet. We are responsible for high performance on-vehicle components that log sensor and autonomy data, real-time communications from the vehicle to our cloud services in the cloud, as well as the tooling and services that transfer heavyweight data from our fleet to centralized storage in a secure and efficient manner.
Autonomous log data fuels the development of the Aurora Driver, as well as our safety and test workflows. This team is responsible for delivering this data efficiently to the organization with easy to use APIs that can quickly adapt to changing needs.
In this role, you will
- Design and build core, high performance, mission critical on-vehicle software and cloud services
- Collaborate with teams across the autonomy, systems engineering, and vehicle platform groups to help them with the extraction and consumption of core data that they need.
- Lead internal user studies and analysis to shape widely used data access APIs within Aurora.
- Drive technical design and progress in this space.
- Mentor junior members of the team and maintain engineering excellence.
- Balance maintainability, performance and user experience for core components that are used pervasely in Aurora’s software organization.
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Experience with large scale distributed systems or microservice architectures
- Strong programming skills in modern languages like Golang, Python, C++, Java
- Ability to work across multiple programming languages and paradigms
- A passion for writing robust, intuitive, high-performance code, and being pragmatic about it
- A passion to work at the hardware/software interface
- Ability to navigate and work effectively in large codebases
- Strong software development background demonstrated by industry experience in production web, mobile, SaaS or cloud computing
- Strong operating system experience
- Deep understanding in either the networking or storage space
- Prior experience designing and managing APIs for a large developer audience
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.