Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Software Engineer to focus on ML Accelerators
In this role, you will
- Work closely with our autonomy and hardware teams to understand our on-vehicle ML technology
- Develop perspectives on where opportunities and gaps might be in our machine learning software and hardware strategy with a longer-term horizon in mind
- Maintain relationships and intel across the ML ecosystem including both established players and start-ups (accelerators, software modules, etc.) for both existing and future products
- Execute internal research and development of ML software and hardware technology
- Surface high-impact findings to relevant Engineering leadership, keeping feedback loop going to influence Aurora’s ML strategy
- Help drive value to key engineering stakeholders
- Minimum 5+ years of professional experience
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Strong programming skills in C++, Python
- Familiarity with at least one deep learning framework (PyTorch, TensorFlow, MXNet, etc.)
- Basic understanding of computer vision deep learning models.
- Strong analytical skills, especially for performance troubleshooting (e.g. profiling, roofline model)
- Familiarity with CUDA, OpenCL, OpenVX, Halide or other SIMD programming models
- Familiarity with ML-specific accelerators (NPUs, TPUs, IPUs, etc…)
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technology
- Ability to work on large code bases and a fast growing environment.
- Strong communication skills
- Comfortable with Linux/other unix environments
Desirable Qualifications (this section is optional)
- Experience with inference on edge platforms
- Experience with cloud ML training pipelines
- HPC experience
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.