Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Safety Specialist, Safety Investigation.
In this role, you will
- Work with safety investigation, safety management system, operational safety, and other business stakeholders in mining and analyzing data to extract key trends and insights around safety issues
- Play a critical role in implementing / building an array of data ingestion and analysis pipelines and derive key insights from that data
- Build effective visualizations to communicate data to key decision-makers
- Communicate your findings to cross-functional peers and management
- Plan and lead complex projects, prioritize tasks and map stakeholders appropriately
- Analyze key safety data to understand potential safety issues and gaps within the organization
- Co-lead safety investigations involving safety issues identified from your analysis
- Collect the data you need to turn it into an insightful story and convert it into clear decisions
- Be measured by the insights you give, effectiveness of communication, and the initiative to drive ideas and put them into action
- Understand technical implementation at the architectural level and propose technical alternatives when necessary; ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be effective
- Remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress, identify gaps in communication or schedule, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities, and drive results proactively
- Be a technical subject matter expert for our Safety Issue Triage process, including facilitation, project management, tracking, reporting, and cross-functional communication
- Support technical and strategic planning, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans
- Support process and efficiency improvements across the Safety Organization
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a technical analyst role in a safety critical field (Aerospace, Automobile, Nuclear, Oil, Rail or similar industry)
- Advanced SQL expertise
- Ability and experience in extracting insights from data, and summarizing learnings / takeaways
- Experience with dashboarding / data visualization (i.e. DataStudio, Periscope, Mixpanel, Looker, or similar)
- Ability to translate complex concepts, problems and solutions into business impact
- Experience with either Python or R
- Demonstrated aptitude toward data storytelling and root cause analysis using data
- Ability to communicate (written and verbal) effectively and facilitate communication amongst various project teams and executive leadership
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.