Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Software Engineer to join Aurora’s Perception Evaluation team to accelerate model development and improve autonomy capabilities via advanced systems and algorithmic development
The ideal candidate will enjoy working across our autonomy codebase to accelerate ML model experimentation and data analysis to develop large-scale systems that produce interactive metrics and insights. You’ll architect large-scale data analysis systems and services, add new capabilities and feature improvements, and apply novel evaluation methodologies and algorithms that power our fleet of self-driving vehicles. The impact of your work will be fast, reliable, and safe ML models and will involve tight collaboration within Perception and across many models and teams, including Planning, Simulation, Cloud, Tools, and more. Responsibilities include:
In this role, you will
- Accelerate model development and improve autonomy capabilities with advanced systems and novel algorithms
- Build interactive ML evaluation systems that analyze and track autonomy performance
- Improve the on-device and offline performance of ML models through data insights, visualizations, training optimizations, and other advanced deep learning approaches
- Significant ownership, independence, and leadership working across models and systems
- BS / MS / PhD degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Excellent programming and software design skills in Python or C++
- Expertise in ML, Computer Vision, and/or Autonomous systems
- Experience with ML model evaluation methodologies and metrics
- Comfort working on large codebases and software systems
- Great collaboration and communication skills
- Experience programming in a deep learning framework (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow)
- Experience building distributed systems, web services, cloud computing systems, storage systems, or automated data pipelines
- Experience with large-scale data analysis tools (e.g., Spark)
- Familiarity with rich sensor data (e.g., LIDAR, RADAR, camera)
- Familiarity with visualization libraries for 3D geometries and interactive visualization (eg., 3db, matplotlib, bokeh)
- Knowledge of model compression and performance optimization techniques, especially CUDA and GPU-accelerated software
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.