Job Description / Skills Required
Our mission is to deliver the world’s best listening experiences. Every day we make good on that promise for millions of listeners through our flagship mobile and web applications along with more than 200 connected devices and services.
About TuneIn Engineering
We value being a top-notch engineering organization and have the same high standards with our code and people. We make time for quality, we are agile and pragmatic, we keep it simple, we are data driven, and we love getting better. Check out our principles here: https://github.com/tunein/engineering/blob/master/Principles.md
We hire diverse, well-rounded, communicative people whom we can envision being friends with and trusting. Our projects tend to be 1-2 engineers maximum, so trust and accountability is required for us to work. Trust also helps us keep processes & overhead to a minimum. So far, we've built a reasonably-sized, high-powered team and are always striving to be the best place to work we can be.
About the Position
We're searching for a leader of our Cloud Infrastructure organization. The TuneIn platform is at the center of our diverse set of web, mobile, and consumer electronics products, powering nearly 70 million monthly active unique visitors and growing. Our users, their data, our transactions, and the audio content are brought together through our collection os APIs to provide great experiences for music, audiobooks, sports, news and podcasts. The team is currently around 20 engineers and managers and growing.
Who You Are:
· You’re a “high I/O” person. You understand your job is primarily to enable your team to do their best, and that means facilitating an easy exchange of ideas, knowledge, and practices.
· You’re a great leader. You understand your job is to serve your team and enable them to do their best. You have experience and smarts yet you’re the humblest, most open-minded person in the room. You execute beyond expectations. You understand that people learn by doing and skillfully manage the balancing act between growing your team and getting things done. Most of all, nothing gives you more of a thrill than seeing your team do something great.
· You’re a good engineer. You understand the payback of clean, tested, observable code. You have been the person evangelizing good engineering practices. You have had operational experience in running a system 24x7 and scaling systems. You have an understanding of DevOps culture that we are building at TuneIn.
· You have high standards and love upping them all the time. You love measuring sticks like metrics and dashboards since they tell you the truth. You also know good strategies and decisions usually involve your gut just as much or more.
· You have domain experience. Ideally, you’ve worked on large-scale consumer apps and/or platforms. You’ve been around diverse, polyglot dev environments (we have Java, C#, Node.js, Ruby, and are considering Python or Go) both hosted and in the cloud (we use Amazon EC2). You’ve worked with services (micro or not) and been in positions to support other engineers building apps.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
· At least 5 years of experience leading people & teams, ideally at a Director level
· Experience with high-traffic consumer platforms or websites
· Familiar with the entire stack: web servers, the application layer, caching, databases
· Familiar with Amazon Web Services
· You're curious, humble, open-minded, and able to learn
· Exceptionally strong communication & interpersonal skills - you like and value people
· You're a winner- you deeply care about being the best and producing the best, have an extremely high sense of accountability, and love huge challenges
· You seamlessly bounce between strategic and tactical.
Bringing together a wide collection of sports, music, news and podcasts — including live, on-demand and original content — TuneIn lets people find what they love while helping them discover new things. TuneIn serves more than 75 million monthly active users, across the globe, on hundreds of devices, including smartphones, desktop, connected devices, connected autos, game consoles and smart speakers, like Sonos, Bose SoundTouch, Amazon Echo and Google Home. TuneIn Premium subscribers can listen to the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and commercial-free music stations.
With venture funding from Comcast Ventures, IVP, Sequoia Capital, Causeway, General Catalyst Partners, Icon Ventures, and Marker LLC, TuneIn is headquartered in San Francisco, California. We also have vibrant, growing offices in Los Angeles and New York, NY.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.