Job Description / Skills Required
Our mission is to deliver the world’s best listening experiences. Every day we make good on that promise for millions of listeners through our flagship mobile and web applications along with more than 200 connected devices and services.
About TuneIn Engineering
We value being a top-notch engineering organization and have the same high standards with our code and people. We make time for quality, we are agile and pragmatic, we keep it simple, we are data driven, and we love getting better. Check out our principals here: https://github.com/tunein/engineering/blob/master/Principles.md
We regularly invest time in your future and support growth, and we show this in a number of ways—clear job responsibilities and expectations for your career path, freedom to move teams, cross-functional teams to contribute more broadly, and our quarterly Discovery Days, whereby you spend time in the form of building innovative features, products, or approaches to problems ("hackathon" like); addressing nagging issues or problems that take time away from adding value to TuneIn; or simply learning a new technology.
About this position
The Streaming Team is responsible for processing, transcoding, and distributing much of TuneIn’s exclusive audio content. We are building a highly-available distributed platform for streaming live audio at internet scale. We are working on features to enhance the playback experience of TuneIn’s content, with such capabilities as the ability to rewind live streams or to be able to replace ads in a source stream with non-commercial content. Our stack is a modern architecture of microservices written in Go running on AWS (with Aurora, Lambdas, DynamoDB, etc.).
What You’ll Do
· You know how to build elastic, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
· You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on effective monitoring, strong documentation, and thorough test coverage.
· You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of listeners, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
· You thrive when learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
· You believe that a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point.
· You exercise good technical judgement to foresee and identify potential issues.
· You choose to mentor those around you and favor collaboration.
· You stay calm under pressure and can handle production escalations effectively.
Who You Are
· 10+ years of experience in building scalable and distributed backend systems.
· Strong foundation in databases, SQL and NoSQL technologies.
· Experience building backend services/micro-services
· Experience is Go is desired but not necessary
· Experience with AWS is desirable but not necessary
· Experience with media encoding standards, containers and streaming is desirable but not necessary
· Experience with gRPC is a plus, but not required
· Superior communication and writing skills.
Bringing together a wide collection of sports, music, news and podcasts — including live, on-demand and original content — TuneIn lets people find what they love while helping them discover new things. TuneIn serves more than 75 million monthly active users, across the globe, on hundreds of types of devices, including smartphones, desktop, connected devices, connected autos, game consoles and smart speakers, like Sonos, Bose SoundTouch, Amazon Echo and Google Home. TuneIn Premium subscribers can listen to the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and commercial-free music stations.
TuneIn is headquartered in San Francisco, and we have vibrant, growing offices in Los Angeles and New York, NY. We’re venture funded from Comcast Ventures, IVP, Sequoia Capital, Causeway, General Catalyst Partners, Icon Ventures, and Marker LLC
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.