Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Aurora works at the intersection of rigorous engineering and applied machine learning to address one of the most challenging, important, and interesting opportunities of our generation: transforming the way people and goods move.
Founded by three of the world’s leaders of the self-driving vehicle industry, we design the software and hardware that will power the next revolution in transportation. We partner with others as we believe this allows us to move more quickly than any one company can move alone.
Aurora hires people who want to build the future of transportation.
This role is highly organized, mission driven, and possesses excellent communication. The Systems Engineering team at Aurora is seeking a candidate with expertise in software architecture, engineering, and integration of safety- and mission- critical software systems. The preferred candidate will have emerged from a strong software development background and gravitated towards ensuring that the system-as-a-whole works as expected. The role involves strong collaboration with core software development teams at Aurora as well as the Safety and Hardware teams. A successful candidate will gain the respect of other software engineers in the organization by virtue of his/her SW technical depth and its application to the big picture.
This role is highly organized, mission driven, and possesses excellent communication skills.
- Produce detailed analyses of desired end-to-end system behaviors in different operational design domains, in terms of performance and safety
- Understand and help define the complete software architecture for realizing needed system behaviors
- Identify and implement strategies for representation, maintenance, and reasoning over detailed software architecture and behavior artifacts, including versions and variants
- Connect systems engineering tools and processes (e.g. Requirements, V&V) with autonomy software source code and devops tools and practices
- Dive deep with domain experts to understand characteristics and concerns of domain specific software implementations. Write software and interface requirements, facilitate architecture decisions, tradeoff analysis, and bug fix approaches by maintaining a system level overview
- Develop verification and validation plans against system and SW subsystem requirements. Establish traceability across the system and drive cross-functional discussions to ensure that requirement coverage is achieved for the product
- Support technical and strategic planning with key stakeholders such as program management, partners, and founders to develop program plans
- Minimum 4 years of experience with software architecture, engineering, and integration in safety- or mission- critical systems
- Experience writing testable software requirements
- Strong proficiency in C++ and Python
- Experience evaluating systems relative to automotive safety standards/guidelines (ISO 26262, SOTIF, MISRA etc.) but not necessarily developing the work products
- Strong organizational and communication skills; ability to effectively coordinate efforts and requirements across a large number of stakeholders across the organization
- BS, MS, or better in Software Engineering or related STEM fields
- Knowledge of middleware and communication frameworks like ROS, DDS, AUTOSAR
- Sound grasp of the elements of autonomous driving technology. Detailed expertise in at least one of Perception, Motion Planning, or Simulation is a plus.
- Familiarity with automotive safety standards such as ISO26262, SOTIF, FMVSS etc. is a plus
- Ability to win over skeptical-but-talented SW engineers and convince them to embrace solid systems engineering practices :-)
More about Aurora
Aurora has assembled one of the most experienced leadership teams in the space to go build the next leading self-driving vehicle company - including leaders from Google / Waymo, Tesla, Uber ATG, Apple, and several others to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology quickly and safely around the world. We are partnered with some of the largest automakers on the planet and funded by some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Greylock and Index Ventures.