Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genetic and phenotypic information from research participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team based in South San Francisco uses this unparalleled dataset to discover and develop novel treatments for patients with serious unmet needs.
Biological interpretation of genetic signals available to 23andMe requires computational methods to analyze high-throughput functional data, development of tools that integrate genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery, and summarizing the results in ways that enable efficient decision making.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
Who you are
We are looking for a quantitative scientist with extensive experience in computational biology and bioinformatics. Ideal candidates will have significant experience in working with large genomic datasets and developing robust software tools that drive discovery and interpretation. Our team is very collaborative, and the ability to communicate ideas and results to other scientists is key.
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. -- or M.S. with at least 5 years of working experience in a research setting -- in Computational Biology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics or a related field
- Hands-on experience working with very large genomic datasets
- Strong programming skills in (preferably) R or python, and demonstrated ability to write R packages / python libraries for broad use
- Experience working with SQL and relational databases
- Extensive experience in writing robust code in a shared development environment
- Experience in deploying internally developed tools in a production environment
- Ability to work in a dynamic team oriented environment
- Good communication skills and experience communicating software or database design to colleagues
- Contribution to an open source project, especially in R
- Familiarity with tools for processing WGS, RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq or similar
- Experience in summarizing data to help drive interpretation and decision making
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.