Attentive is a personalized mobile messaging platform for innovative brands.
United States of America
Job Description / Skills Required
REMOTE - US
Attentive is a mobile messaging platform changing the way consumers interact with businesses and organizations. The company is one of the fastest growing startups in New York City and recently raised a $110 million Series C investment led by Sequoia and IVP—two of the world’s leading venture firms—in early 2020, less than 8 months after its Series B round due to strong customer traction. We’ve seen 347% customer growth in just one year, and now work with 1000+ of the most innovative brands like Coach, Urban Outfitters, CB2, PacSun, Lulus, Party City, and Jack in the Box. Attentive was founded in 2016 by the co-founders of TapCommerce, a mobile marketing platform that was acquired by Twitter in 2014.
Role Background: We’re looking for a self-motivated, highly driven full-time Engineering Manager for our Core Messaging team. You will lead a very strong team of infrastructure focused engineers tasked with owning the core message sending & receiving functionality for the Attentive codebase. Currently capable of sending 10s of millions of messages per day and bursting to thousands per second, this team must continue to rapidly scale up our capabilities as our customer base grows. In addition the team will be responsible for expanding our messaging capabilities into new areas (FB, WhatsApp, international, push notifications, etc).
This is a hands-on role where you are expected to balance people management, cross-functional leadership, and coding. You should be comfortable letting your tech leads take true ownership of projects while keeping enough of an eye on things to make sure the train stays on the track. As the primary point of contact with the team, you will work with other engineering teams to asses their Core Messaging needs while planning your team roadmap.
You @ Attentive
- You will be an effective people manager who also has the capability to contribute as a highly-technical hands-on infrastructure engineer when the need arises.
- You have experience building scalable and fault tolerant distributed systems.
- Some knowledge of telephony and messaging products and APIs would be a plus though you can pick it up on the job if necessary.
- You will hold your own in technical and business discussions with the product team and the rest of the engineering organization.
- You can understand the business of your customers, identify problems or opportunities then address them using technology.
- Partner with Product Management and Engineering to translate customer needs into a better overall product
- You will write simple yet elegant, readable, and well-documented code
- Can apply an entrepreneurial approach and passion to problem solving and building products
- Built and shipped complex software products
- Managed a high performance team
Product Development @ Attentive
- Our backend is Java and Python microservices coupled with DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, MySql, Postgres, and Redis all hosted on AWS.
- Our frontend is built on current best practices leveraging Babel, Webpack, React, and Redux.
- Our team is 50+ engineers, product managers and designers from top tech companies including Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Moat, Oscar and AppNexus.
- We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation.
- To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data driven decision making.
Benefits & Perks
- Robust benefits package including access to a 401k and various medical, dental and vision plans, and $100/month wellness
- Free delivered lunch and other goodies sent home
- Full support for remote working during covid
- An extremely enthusiastic team that appreciates collaboration
Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re committed to diversity and maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. We’re committed to them because our core values demand it - values like Integrity First, Listening & Cultivating Discussion, and Default to Action. We believe in embracing “self” and that our true strength lies in the diversity of our employees. For this reason, applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any protected status under federal, state, or local law.