Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
San Francisco, CA, US
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We are searching for Software Engineers to architect, design, and develop our core mapping algorithms, data-structures and tools that enable autonomous operation.
- Define our mapping architecture and approach
- Develop ML algorithms that detect physical features in the world
- Develop algorithms that automatically create maps as well as aid human operators in creating maps
- Develop data structures that enable efficient queries about static parts of the driving environment
- BS/MS or PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, or a related field
- Experience in machine learning and computer vision
- Experience building and deploying ML pipelines
- Excellent C++ programming and software design skills
- Experience with perception sensors including LIDAR and cameras
- Expertise in the design of very large adaptive data structures and familiarity with mapping and localization
- Experience with 3D graphics
- Experience with linear algebra and 3D geometry
- Experience with UI workflows and computer aided workflows in particular
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT'S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.