Analyzes aerial imagery to find actionable information.
Sr. Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Be in the middle of everything ... and the only one who actually knows how it all works.
You’re in the core, the middle, the center. All roads go via you. Whatever it is they want, it requires you. You have deep experience using Python and varied open source packages to build serious cloud computing pipelines. We ingest many kinds of geospatial data and then we dice, slice, stretch, rotate, and combine them. We use deep learning to turn the pixels into numbers. We model, aggregate, transform the numbers into meaningful insights. This entire pipeline is formulated, created, monitored, and managed by you. Experience working at scale is pretty darned important.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous "Blue Marble" from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA. Note: We are currently fully remote (working from home) for the rest of the year, due to COVID.
- Define algorithms for image ingestion, re-projection, tiling, normalization, spatial intersection, and other initial processing
- Maintain and process large amounts of geospatial data; write code for automating complex geospatial requests
- Build and maintain production pipelines for ingesting images from satellite/UAV operators and processing them in the cloud at scale
- Work with machine vision and data science teams to define and implement algorithms for multispectral image analysis, machine vision, and data analysis
- Design, code, test deploy , maintain and own scalable microservice(s) , foundational at Orbital Insights
- Mentoring and guiding junior engineers including code and design reviews
- Ability to work together with cross functional teams to technically lead an initiative including project planning , facilitating design
- US Citizenship Required (Clearance Eligible)
- Bachelor’s or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 9+ total years of industry experience as a Software engineer
- 5+ years experience with Python or other similar language
- 5+ years experience working on large scale, production systems
- 2+ years experience working with microservices or other service based architectures
- Experience working with AWS or Azure is required
- Knowledge and experience with PostGIS, GDAL, Redis, Cassandra, and Docker is a major plus
Orbital Insight is a fast growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public sector clients across the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Google Ventures, Sequoia Capital, In-Q- Tel and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.