A social game developer creating a series of free-to-play mobile games.
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game. As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
The Pocket Gems People Operations team focuses on creating an inspiring place to work while maintaining an atmosphere of creativity, fun and productivity. As the People Ops Manager you will be hands-on, and able to flex from strategic to tactical work while being a thoughtful leader that provides coaching, support, and development within the People Ops Team, and with key stakeholders throughout the organization. Areas of focus will include performance management and employee relations, and change management.
What We’ve Recently Accomplished:
- We provided key guidance as PG adjusted from an office-based to remote work environment during shelter in place, to ensure employees as seamless a transition as possible. A recent engagement survey showed Gemmers were extremely positive on PGs response to the pandemic.
- We rolled out a continuous feedback process via Lattice to further enable developing a strong culture of feedback.
- We partnered on meaningful reactions to the recent incidents of, and protests around, racial injustice in the U.S. - including a company-wide meeting to share personal reactions and declare company actions (such as highlighting Black creators voices), and setting up and running the first charitable match in PG history.
What You’ll Help Us to Accomplish:
- Become a strong business partner to leadership throughout the organization - from coaching, to working on performance issues and finding ways to increase managerial impact, you will be a key resource to managers and employees.
- Some project opportunities include: Working towards a true continuous feedback cycle (goodbye to annual reviews!); Helping create policies and processes to support engaging remotely in the short and long-term; and supporting the increased diversity and inclusion efforts we’re tackling company-wide.
What You’ll Do:
- Act as a strategic business partner to game teams and functional leadership as well as a hands-on generalist for the company for all things people-related
- Own the delivery and effectiveness of several core HR processes and responsibilities across employee life-cycle activities such as benefits administration, compliance / policy management, and immigration
- Proactively and thoughtfully address workplace and employee relations issues on an individual and systematic basis
- Develop and maintain programs for onboarding, performance management, employee engagement, and professional development
- Ensure ongoing compliance with relevant regulations and requirements pertaining to minimize risk and exposure to the company; manage compliance filings (e.g., EEO-1)
- Collaborate with team members and across functions to develop, document and implement new programs, processes, events and initiatives
What You Bring To The Team:
- BA/BS degree is required
- 7+ years of HR experience including 2+ years of management experience. Preferably in the tech industry.
- Strong HR functional expertise; knowledgeable on employment law matters, employment legislation, and compliance management
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal
- The ability to communicate effectively to all stakeholders and to build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Comfortable as a “hands-on” leader and willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills while exercising sound judgment
- Proven experience handling confidential and sensitive information with the ability to exercise discretion and show good judgment; honesty, integrity, and trust building behaviors in all dealings is essential and required.
- Effective time management and organization skills