Provides an incredibly simple payments API with associated merchant account setup.
San Francisco, CA, US
Seattle. Remote in North America only
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, and detects fraud, helping entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world. Monetization Platform is at the core of enabling Stripe’s business models and monetizing Stripe’s full product suite. Our Tax team, which is part of Monetization platform, deciphers the complexity of taxes into scalable systems to enable new products and global expansion of Stripe’s users. We’re solving a very hard problem: distilling the complex rules of tax into a platform that unblocks global money movement and enables future products.
Transactional Tax (e.g., sales tax, VAT, GST) is one of the core problem domains where all businesses share similar needs. As a backend engineer, you will design and build platforms and services that are configurable and scalable for transactional tax assessment around the globe. You will partner with many functions at Stripe, with the opportunity to both work on infrastructure/platform systems, as well as produce direct user-facing business impact.
We’re looking for people with a background in designing and building config-driven and scalable distributed systems and data pipelines. You have experience in leading a team of engineers to navigate a large, ambiguous problem domain, setting a long-term vision, and driving the engineering roadmap to achieve it. You’re comfortable in dealing with multiple moving pieces and effectively driving cross-team and cross-functional collaboration. You’re looking forward to learning new technologies, systems, and problem domains. This role is critical not only for Stripe but for the future of the commercial internet.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building platforms at Stripe. In many cases, you will be the owner of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for software design and scalable systems architecture by developing, sharing, and setting the quality bar for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments infrastructure. If you’re successful, you will change the trajectory of the payment industry as a whole.
- Effectively drive alignment and execution of cross-functional technical strategy, goals, and projects
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be fit for this role if you:
- You have a strong technical background, including 7+ years of experience with software engineering and systems design at a top tier software company
- You have been a Staff, Senior Staff or Principal Engineer at a top tier company
- You have served as the technical lead for a team of 8+ engineers
- You have owned the technical roadmap for critical business areas
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from your organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you.
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting, scalable, and maintainable.
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences, and didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.