Shared inbox for teams.
Engineering Manager - Systems
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Email is the universal communication tool for work. It’s where you discuss work, answer questions, and talk to all of your customers, vendors, and partners. But email wasn’t designed for business and hasn’t evolved with the way you work with a team. So you’re dropping the ball, missing important context, and relying on dozens of siloed apps just to get the job done.
With more than 6,000 customers, Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. We’ve created one place where you communicate internally and externally, gain context about customers and projects, and access all your other tools so you can be more efficient, more fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work.
Front was featured in Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2019, The New York Times’ The Next Wave of ‘Unicorn’ Start-Ups, Zapier’s Apps at Work Report: The Fastest Growing Apps of 2019, the Bay Area’s Great Places to Work, and of course Glassdoor.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on Engineering Manager to manage our backend systems engineering team in San Francisco. This is a high-caliber, fast moving team that owns key foundational parts of the Front product and works on many of our most challenging (and interesting) distributed systems problems. To be successful in this role, you will manage this existing team of talented engineers to deliver on an ambitious roadmap, lean in on technical design and implementation, scale this team by attracting and hiring talented engineers and obsessing about making the team and their processes scale efficiently. This is also a very collaborative role where you will interface with other engineering managers in other locations.
What will you be doing?
- Drive and deliver on our product roadmap (frontapp.com/roadmap), working with your team to turn 1-pager specs into features
- Obsess about the architectural design, implementation and quality of the work your team produces
- Grow and scale your team
- Build, with your team, the next generation of foundational distributed systems that will allow Front to scale the next order of magnitude
- Mentorship (20% of your time)
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset – we’re a product company
- Strong track record of running teams that deliver projects of significant complexity and high level of ambiguity
- Designing, building and owning, with your team, systems that run at massive scale
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Experience in node.js, Angular or React
- Experience running services on AWS
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.