Lets people listen to music, sports and news from around the world.
Senior Software Engineer, Data
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
TuneIn is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team, along with our current employees, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
TuneIn reaches nearly 70 MAUs and we have a relentless appetite for data: our listeners collectively generate tens of millions of events per hour at peak. We are a small data engineering team and our contributions have a profound impact on the success of the business: from shipping the next strategic insight to building the data-centric products that power our listeners' experiences - our Data Engineering team is the hub of TuneIn. Our Machine Learning pipelines power music station recommendation engines, and advancements in Discovery and personas. Our environment currently includes Java, Python, Pandas, Go, microservices, Databricks, AWS services like amazon redshift, kinesis, emr (hadoop, spark), s3, lambdas. Kubernetes, Docker and Spinnaker for deployment.
Data pipelines are critical to TuneIn's success, powering many aspects of our analytics and supporting products. We are looking for data engineers who will build data applications to solve product problems. In this role, you’ll partner closely with our data analysts and product team to create the technology that generates and transforms data into applications, insights and experiences for our users.
- Build and rewrite existing data pipelines using Java/Python/Go to improve efficiency and latency
- Work closely with Analysts to build and deploy Machine Learning models
- Develop and automate ETL pipelines
- Design data models for optimal storage and retrieval, and optimize the data architecture to meet critical product and business requirements
- Improve data quality through anomaly detection by building and working with internal tools to measure data and automatically detect changes
- Data Modeling and improving our existing data models for analytics
- 5+ years of software Engineering experience, with an emphasis in the design, development and deployment of high volume data centric applications (millions of transactions per day)
- Past experience developing and maintaining ETL pipelines
- Prior experience with productionizing Machine Learning models is preferred
- Working knowledge of both relational and NoSQL database design and management (here at TuneIn we are using Redshift, DynamoDB and Aurora)
- Past experience with cloud services (such as AWS or similar)
- Expertise with any object-oriented languages such as Java, Go, Python
- History of building resilient, stateless, scalable, distributed and observable systems
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data sets to identify gaps and inconsistencies, provide data insights, and advance effective product solutions
- Experience designing and deploying production systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices
- Practical perspective on software engineering discipline, focus on learning and delivering, and passion for high quality
- Great energy and enthusiasm with a positive, collaborative working style, clear communication and writing skills
- Enthusiasm for audio content preferred
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
TuneIn, the leading live streaming and on-demand audio service, brings together live sports, news, music, podcasts and radio from around the globe. With 75 million monthly active users, TuneIn is one of the most widely used streaming audio platforms in the world. TuneIn broadcasts over 100,000 owned & operated and partner radio stations, and boasts more than 5.7 million podcasts. With premiere distribution across 200 platforms and connected devices, TuneIn empowers listeners to hear what they love while discovering new things anywhere they listen.
TuneIn Premium subscribers also unlock exclusive access to every NFL and NHL game with no blackouts, commercial-free top news networks like CNBC, CNN, FOX News Radio and MSNBC, and commercial-free music channels for every mood and activity. With venture funding from Sequoia Capital, Comcast Ventures, IVP, Innovation Endeavors, Causeway, General Catalyst Partners, Icon Ventures and Marker LLC, TuneIn is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within TuneIn. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.