Bird is a shared electric scooter company.
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
The Sr. Trade and Compliance Associate will report to the EMEA Supply Chain Manager and will be responsible for all day to day trade and compliance operations for their designated locations.
This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable EU trade laws and regulations, as well communicating these requirements to internal and external partners. The trade compliance manager will audit imports/exports and proactively monitor transactions prior to arrival of cargo and through post-entry reviews. As the Trade Compliance officer you will measure the effectiveness of processes and controls to ensure compliance to EU trade laws
- Maintain a global compliance framework, specific to the following regions: Europe, Middle East, APAC. Reviews broker/forwarder documentation for correct values, commodity classifications, tariff codes and authorizations.
- Promptly informs managers of any suspected violations of trade regulations by company employees or service providers (customs brokers, freight forwarders).
- Assists with broker and forwarder (3rd party) service failures and implements solutions.
- Leads engagement with I/T and other resources within the business to define, design and develop solutions on trade compliance matters to mitigate risks.
- Works closely with legal, finance, and operations teams to solve for day to day product classification needs, as well as project manage new product catalog business needs.
- Manage projects with a high degree of attention to detail and clarity - compliance has no room for error, and you are able to demonstrate that with prior work experience.
- Cross Collaborate with internal teams to keep teams working efficiently as shipments move across the globe - ensure data and input are accurate and thorough.
- Maintain and update our global compliance database ensuring the proper HTS codes and classifications are being used across the organization.
- Maintain and design record-keeping for all entries under Europe, Middle East, APAC.
- Work closely with freight forwarders and customs brokers to ensure proper classification procedures are followed.
- Be the subject matter expert (SME) on all things customs and trade compliance-related. You are the first and last line of defense to ensure proper importation that reduces/eliminates financial exposure against government agencies.
- Customs broker license
- Medium to advanced excel skills - we are a startup! Visualizing your own data is part of our culture.
- 5+ years of experience in customs compliance within the EMEA region, preference in the automotive sector, manufacturing, or consumer electronics
- Ability to work both independently with minimal guidance and cross-functionally with various teams.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication, organization, and stakeholder management skills.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.