Senior Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
We are a San Francisco based team building self-driving semi trucks. We have raised $117MM in total and are backed by Tiger Global Management ($70MM Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30MM Series B). We move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose built transfer hubs. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous driving and our team is looking to grow.
Embark’s Product team sets the direction and priorities for our growing Engineering organization. We build close relationships with truck drivers and engineers alike so that we can empathize with them and understand the self-driving problem as deeply as possible. We analyze on-road data with a fine-toothed comb and develop system requirements from first principles. We develop strategies and roadmaps for the team using metrics that we build from the ground up. We understand we have a responsibility to communicate these plans and our progress to the company to keep everyone accountable and ultimately accelerate the deployment of safe self-driving trucks.
As a senior systems engineer you will be responsible for using a deep understanding of our system, as well as a strong grasp of classical physics and software engineering practices to define how our truck should drive and how major components should interact.
- Use your understanding of complex software and hardware systems and your data analysis skills to author comprehensive requirements and develop actionable validation and verification plans.
- Work closely with product managers, as well as software and hardware engineering teams to understand problems and advocate for long-term technical solutions.
- Analyze existing metrics to compare the impact of changes across both our software and hardware stacks. Advocate for and develop new metrics to improve this analysis.
- Conduct trade studies to manage performance and risk across the technical stack.
- Develop testing strategies to highlight potential areas of improvement and prevent regressions.
Your Experience Might Include:
- 5+ years in robotics, aerospace or automotive systems engineering.
- Experience with Python, SQL or similar.
- BS, MS or PhD in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, physics, or equivalent real-world experience.
- Experience building detailed engineering documentation, such as state or sequence diagrams.
- Experience working with a complex software or robotics system.
- Strong technical and non-technical communication skills.
When you apply, address the application to Dominique and let me know why you want to join our team.
A few company highlights: