Carousell is a consumer-to-consumer mobile marketplace.
Carousell is a classifieds marketplace that makes selling as easy as taking a photo, buying as simple as chatting. Launched in August 2012, Carousell began in Singapore and is now one of the world's largest and fastest growing marketplaces in eight markets (presence in nine countries) across Southeast Asia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and India. Carousell is backed by Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver, Sequoia Capital, and Naspers. The Carousell marketplace has a diverse range of products across a variety of categories, including cars, lifestyle, gadgets and fashion accessories. As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell
Carousell is looking for a Strategy Trainee in our next phase of growth, to make everything more accessible to everyone. The Strategy Team is a new team within Carousell, reporting directly to the Founders’ Office. We drive Carousell’s corporate strategy, with regional and total business coverage. We partner squads, functional and country teams to develop, cascade, and implement strategy end-to-end, with a focus on longer-range opportunities and challenges. This role will give you a good overview of the tech scale-up business in 8 months, and put you in good stead to contribute to any scale-ups after. You will report to the Strategy Director.
Strategy Development, Analysis and Research
- Play a part in the analysis of markets and sectors, including new business models, partnerships and long-term business positioning, accounting for Carousell’s strengths, market opportunity and the external environment, working with business stakeholders.
- Monitor and analyse global trends in user behaviour and marketplaces through desktop scans and interviews
- Develop and drive quantitative and qualitative research to inform strategic choices. This includes user research, interviews, market surveys and in-house benchmarking of Carousell viz competitors, to inform strategic choices and responses
Execution of Strategic Projects
- Where needed, assist in the execution of go-to-market plans, including working with peer stakeholders and adjacent teams
- In particular, assist in studying the potential of categories end-to-end, from user interviews, synthesising findings, to internal quantitative data analysis and external research, to strategy and tactics development
Good analytical abilities
- Ability to quickly sense-make, scope out lines of inquiry for analysis, and develop implications/next steps for the business
- Comfort with numbers is a must; experience in consulting projects and data analysis is a plus
- Strong bias for action, taking charge to own and drive projects
- Can independently develop plans and problem-solve with minimal guidance
- Takes initiative to plug gaps and highlight independent point-of-view