Provides an incredibly simple payments API with associated merchant account setup.
Seattle, WA, US
Stripe has been on a mission to build the Global Payment and Treasury Network (GPTN) to drastically increase the GDP of the Internet. This platform will act as the next generation engine to power all the critical offerings at Stripe and enable the future products to fuel the rapid growth in digital payments and the related domains. On this platform, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more.
We are seeking great engineers to join us in building GPTN to power businesses all over the world. As a GPTN engineer, you will build and expand the core technologies, APIs and services that solve some of the most challenging technical and business problems in Fintech. By crafting advanced software capabilities, you’ll be making some of the most significant decisions to empower the future growth of the company. You’ll get to work with other engineers to build delightful features that span various parts of the system, as well as our business, sales and operations teams to understand and solve our users’ pain points.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Scope, design and implement the unique, large scale, high-performance distributed computing engine to handle billions of money movement requests in face of complex and often changing business logic.
- Scope, design and implement highly performant hybrid transaction processing solution for large scale financial data.
- Scope, design and build a comprehensive set of tools to enable effective and delightful developer experience for payment related products by codifying complex payment logic and engineering needs with declarative artifacts (data model, rules, configurations, etc).
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as product, design, infrastructure, and operations to improve GPTN capabilities and accelerate its adoption.
- Design, build, and maintain beautiful, robust, and powerful APIs and services for existing products and new products.
- Help debug and solve critical production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improve internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- Have a strong technical background, including 3+ years of experience with software engineering at a top tier software company
- Strong coding skills in Java or related languages for building high performance services.
- Good understanding and practical knowledge in cloud based services (e.g. gRPC, GraphQL, Docker/Kubernetes, cloud services such as AWS, etc.)
- Strong expertise and practical knowledge in database technologies particularly in utilizing large scale databases in the cloud, which includes clustering, sharding and failure recovery of RDBMS, Key-value store, and document databases.
- Practical knowledge and expertise in data modeling and entity-relational schema design.
- Familiarity with the full life cycle of software development, from design and implementation to testing and deployment.
- Strong analytical capability especially in modeling complex business flows and turning the business requirements into programatic artifacts such as data models, algorithms, and API designs.
- Experience in systems engineering on large scale testing, as well as reliability, security, and observability.
- Prior knowledge and expertise in building advanced development tools such as Domain Specific Languages (Xtext), IDE integration, Web hosted IDE (Language Service Protocol), admin interface, et. al.
- Prior knowledge in financial technology space, particularly in payment processing.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world. Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.