Robinhood lets you learn to invest in the stock market for free.
Robinhood is democratizing finance for all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
About the role
We’re building out our new Compliance Automation team at Robinhood. This team is the embodiment of one of Robinhood’s core values--”take money seriously”. We’re looking for Software Engineers who can hit the ground running, directly creating the critical distributed systems and public key cryptography workflows required to create solid auditable systems.
Compliance Automation intends to make privacy, security, and compliance fundamental primitives on which Robinhood engineering systems and manual operational processes are built. We treat compliance as an engineering problem rather than a business problem or red tape. We seek to design all our systems and processes with math and public key cryptography as the lowest level in the chain of trust--think merkle trees instead of Word docs. This space has been largely ignored by both the technology and finance industries--we are putting our best people on it and intend to redefine what is possible.
We partner and embed with the compliance, risk, and government relationship teams--the folks making sure both our customers and governments are happy with us. Robinhood was built from the ground up to be as efficient as possible--we are able to maintain a lean bottom-line and pass the savings along to you, the customer. Compliance Automation is critical to running lean and shipping products without compromising on safety or risk.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Build the technical foundation for Robinhood’s entire compliance organization and experience
- Build solid distributed systems, cryptographic signing systems, and automated workflows as well as the React-based tools to control them
- Partner and embed with our government, risk and compliance teams and leaders in Denver, Lake Mary, and Menlo Park
- Partner with our security team to build system-wide chains of trust and enhance our PKI
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience with Python and React
- Experience with public key cryptography and associated infrastructure
- Experience as a technical leader for a business-critical system
- Experience with scalable distributed systems, both built from scratch as well as on AWS primitives
- A focus on software engineering best practices such as testing, static analysis, continuous integration, delivery, and deployment
- The desire to seek out the toughest technology and engineering problems and solve them with little to no guidance
- Willingness to learn and use new technologies and touch any system to accomplish your goals
- Extremely data-driven. You instrument and analyze everything about your systems and team
- Enthusiastic cross-functional partner and great communicator
- Experience with Rust
- Experience with blockchain technology such as merkle trees, zkSnarks, EVM, DAOs, multi-signatures, threshold cryptography, bulletproofs
- Experience with cryptographic voting technologies
- Experience with secure multi-party computation
- Experience with differential privacy
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with simulation testing
- Experience with consensus algorithms such as Raft or Paxos
- Experience with high-growth startups
- You’ve made open source contributions
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing finance for all? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.