Robinhood lets you learn to invest in the stock market for free.
Robinhood is democratizing finance for all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
About the role
As a Staff Software Engineer on our Product Engineering team, you will be leading, building and owning backend services and infrastructure that power our core financial products. You will also gain a unique look into how the US financial systems works on the inside and strengthen your financial-domain knowledge. We strive for a high standard of engineering quality while solving unique scalability challenges. You will have high impact roles at a relatively small company for our user base.
We have 4 pillars within Product Engineering: App Foundations, Brokerage, Core Product and Cash. Our mission is to continue raising the quality bar for Robinhood’s apps and set the bar for the entire financial industry. We focus on the core brokerage activities that support how our customers participate in the markets as well as own the end to end customer journey through Robinhood. Lastly, we continue to work toward expanding our products to help us serve customers at different stages of their financial journey.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Design large scale systems within a team, making the right tradeoffs for risk and long-term maintainability.
- Lead, build, test, and release product-facing features with stringent correctness and scalability requirements; these features could be related to market data, trading, accounting, authentication, or security.
- Proactively identify and drive optimizations and improvements to the product.
- Collaborate with our frontend team to fine tune our REST API and with our data team to support millions of customers.
- Contribute to open source projects.
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- 10+ years of software engineering experience.
- Solid understanding of relational databases and transactions.
- Familiarity with writing highly concurrent systems.
- Good intuition for REST API design.
- You can demonstrate a history of providing firm-wide impact.
- You can demonstrate self-sufficiency.
- You are a proven tech lead with experience planning and leading large projects with long-term impact on a single system or team.
- You have a strong technical grasp and have excellent judgement on task prioritizations.
- You are able to solve complex engineering problems that deliver results which help the team to achieve its objectives.
- You have a history of creating and applying new processes and tooling to increase engineering efficiency.
- Intimate familiarity of Python/Django or Go.
- Experience writing low latency, large scale distributed systems.
Core Tech Stack:
- Python/Go, Django/Kafka as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store.
- Redis and Memcached as our caching layer.
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing finance for all? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.