Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, including three of the world’s leaders of self-driving technology, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it. We are searching for a strong Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer who brings deep technical fundamentals and capabilities in mechanical engineering/product design along with a depth in designing Photonic systems for Mass Manufacture.
- Own and design fiber routing and complex photonic assemblies for initial prototypes.
- Scale fiber optic and photonics designs from low volume to high volume production
- Performs necessary DFM/DFA for the photonics transition to high volume.
- Design for prototype and mass-production including machined, injection-molded, formed, die-casted, and extruded parts
- Perform design analysis including stress, strain, thermal, modal, and tolerance
- Create 2-D drawings and documentation with GD&T and SPC fundamentals
- Work with our experienced reliability engineers to ensure the fiber optic and photonics portions of the design meet Aurora’s stringent safety and reliability standards.
- Failure analysis and mediation of the photonic regions of the sensor
- BS / MS in Mechanical Engineering + 3 years of industry experience in Mechanical Design, preference for Senior/Staff level experience
- Prior industrial experience & depth with Photonic designs, particularly Fiber Routing and High Volume (Preference for Telecommunications experience)
- Proficient in CAD design - Catia V6 and Solidworks preferred, not required
- Experience designing for harsh environments including Shock/Vibration with long term durability
- Experience shielding electronics with EMC/EMI considerations
- Experience designing thermal solutions for volume photonics
- Experience with integrated optics and flip chip assembly.
- Experience with photonic integrated circuits
- Experience with high-speed electronics package design and/or laser package design.
- Experience with fiber routing, reliability and robustness
- Experience miniaturizing photonic systems
- PCBA design and packaging experience
- Experience with common photonics technology such as optical amplifiers, light sources (such as lasers), transmission media, detectors, modulators, etc.
- Hobbyists with significant DIY experience and a demonstrated record of executing solid design into great product
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping, design-for-manufacture, design-for-test, and design-of-experiments
- Automotive background
- Strong presentation and communication skills for driving critical design decisions
- Lidar, radar or general sensor tech background
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT'S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.