Online, self-serve life insurance company.
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get term life insurance. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally 15-week process into a modern digital experience for our users.
Our investors include Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed as Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020 as well as featured on VentureBeat for raising $60m in our series C funding. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families.
About the Role
Ethos is seeking a dynamic Head of People, that will be an executive business partner to the leadership team. The Head of People will manage all aspects of HR and recruiting while leading and supporting Ethos’ culture and values as we scale our company.
This person will partner with other team leaders to develop and implement a talent strategy that is aligned with each team’s objectives. This means recruiting top talent, implementing training programs for reach role, developing career ladders, and providing HR support as needed. This person will also be tasked with ensuring that our values and culture will scale with the team through employee engagement initiatives, benefits, and perks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the strategic direction of the People Operations function, overseeing and continuously improving the entire employee journey including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, avenues of ER, feedback (1-1’s, 360 reviews, performance reviews), career ladders
- Be an executive business partner by working directly with the leadership team on People related matters (i.e., recruiting, staff relations, people development) as well as serve as an employee advocate
- Collaborate with department heads to develop and implement training programs for leadership and employees across all departments
- Manage the recruitment function by working closely with internal and external recruiters and hiring managers to identify and attract outstanding candidates
- Lead inclusion and diversity, and community engagement initiatives
- Design and implement performance evaluation and management processes and systems
- Review, revise, negotiate and administer comprehensive range of employee benefit programs
- Develop cultural and onboarding initiatives for new domestic and international offices
- Provide leadership and execution on compensation, employee relations, training and development, performance evaluation and HR policies
- Oversee employment law compliance and manage risk; consult with / manage outside employment counsel as necessary
Qualifications and Skills:
- 7+ years’ experience managing various facets of HR and Talent, 3+ years of people management experience
- Passionate about building relationships and connecting with others
- Track record of integrity, discretion, and ethical behavior
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with leading HR system tools (ADP, Envoy)
- Experience performing HR‐related financial and analytical analysis
- Solid understanding of CA and US employment laws
- Experience in venture‐backed startup environment; comfortable with resource constraints and willing to do more with less
- SPHR/SHRM-SCP certified is a plus