Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Job Description Summary
Aurora hires people who want to build the future of transportation. We are searching for vehicle diagnostic technicians to be located in San Francisco, Palo Alto and Pittsburgh, PA. In this role, you will work closely with our site reliability engineers, vehicle service technicians and vehicle operators. You will be responsible for troubleshooting, diagnosing and tracking all issues the autonomous vehicle fleet encounters while in the field.
What You'll Do
- Use a safety centered approach to troubleshoot and perform general root cause analysis for common software and hardware faults across all quickly developing platforms
- Collaborate with engineers, technicians, and operators to improve product performance, drive down faults, and maximize fleet runtime
- Assist fleet technicians with hardware and fleet management tasks including development and production deployments
- Perform sensor calibrations, platform upgrades, and new platform bring-up
- Document and track issues from occurrence through resolution
- Quality field reporting
- Continuous quality improvements
What We're Looking For
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Robotics Engineering, Physics, or related STEM field
- Previous automotive or AV technical experience
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills from inception through documentation and closure
- Experience working with various complex hardware and software systems including lidar, radar, cameras, and computers
- Detail-oriented self-starter with strong desire to learn new skills and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong understanding and experience with Linux Operating System
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across different teams, offices, and time zones
- Ability to wear different hats and quickly multitask
- Excellent documentation skills
- Fault analysis experience
- Data Analytics experience
- 2-5 year experience troubleshooting autonomous vehicle and electric vehicle issues
- Knowledge of CAN bus architecture
- Programming skills in automated testing and data processing (e.g Python, SQL)
- Experience debugging complex systems
- Experience using Git
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT'S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.