Intelligence Processing Unit
Contract type: Permanent
Start date: September 2021
We plan to monitor applications closely, and due to the volume, we might close applications early. We strongly recommend you get your application in as soon as possible.
Founded just over four years ago, Graphcore's growth and impact has been little short of staggering. We believe we're in a unique position as a new wave of machine learning technology begins to emerge. We see a world where technology enhances human potential and takes us into a new era of intelligence and progress that everyone can benefit from.
What we can achieve over the next few years will re-shape businesses around the world.
Graphcore has created a completely new processor, the Intelligence Processing Unit (IPU), specifically designed for artificial intelligence. The IPU’s unique architecture means developers can run current machine learning models orders of magnitude faster. More importantly, it lets AI researchers undertake entirely new types of work, not possible using current technologies, to drive the next great breakthroughs in general machine intelligence.
The Graphcore Research team is at the forefront of the Artificial Intelligence revolution. Our team participates in both fundamental and applied research, to characterise the computational requirements of Machine Intelligence and to show the IPU driving the next innovative AI models.
We attend conferences and aim at publishing papers, engaging with other research teams and organisations. Our team is based across Bristol and London, with projects and discussions that involve both locations.
Day to day some of your responsibilities will include;
- Working on low-precision numerical representation and advanced techniques for efficient training of deep network architectures.
- Prototyping efficient implementations for training of novel deep learning algorithms and model architectures of increasing complexities.
- Contributing to the design of efficient software implementation of the experimental setup required to evaluate novel machine learning algorithms and models at scale.
- Helping identify new directions of AI research, with the aim of contributing to new ground-breaking approaches to computational intelligence.
- Actively participate in the wider AI community by investigating specific areas of fundamental and applied research, identifying new areas of research, publishing work for discussion and attending research conferences where required.
Graduates at Graphcore
A tailored onboarding and induction programme will get you up to speed with life at Graphcore, including how the business operates. During your induction our technical specialists will host knowledge sharing sessions, providing you the opportunity to build your network.
Once in your team, you can expect hands on experience from day one and to make a real contribution.
A typical day would involve working closely with peers and your manager to solve challenges as they arise.
You will also benefit from a buddy, mentor and access to a talent development team that will support your softer skill development.
We are looking for technical, passionate and motivated individuals with a desire to learn, work and develop in a technically challenging, fast paced environment! You will also be:
- On track to obtain at least a Merit or equivalent at MSc level in a Computer Science, Machine Learning, Maths, Electrical Engineering degree subject
- Confident programming in C++ and Python, shown through previous work experiences, internships or personal projects.
- Some previous experience in a research environment, either through University or work experiences
- Highly motivated and a self-starter, validated through extra-curricular activities or hobbies beyond your studies.
- Passionate with a keen interest to learn about the exciting new field of AI.
- Strong team-working and excellent interpersonal skills.
We are not looking for an instant expert but graduates with the hunger to learn, develop and make a contribution to Graphcore’s future.
In addition to a very competitive salary and share options, you will have the freedom to make your own choices that work for you, starting with unlimited holiday. We also offer a pension scheme and support your well-being with health insurance, life cover and an employee assistance programme.
Our centrally-located Bristol office provides a well-stocked kitchen with healthy food, drinks and snacks and our very own barista! We have an active social scene too - from cycling, yoga, running and football right through to a board game group.
Hiring process and starting at Graphcore
For the time being, our hiring process has shifted to adapt to the new circumstances. While we love getting to know you in an onsite final stage interview, your interview will now likely take place via video call.
Our Bristol office is open, and employees that wish to work from the office can work safely, adhering to social distancing guidelines. Although we cannot comment at this stage on the working arrangement when you join, we continue to operate a flexible office base.
We welcome people of different backgrounds and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive work environment that makes Graphcore a great home for everyone. We are an equal opportunity employer and want to build a work environment where everyone is happy, productive and respectful, so they can do their best work.
If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, just let us know.