Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, including three of the world’s leaders of self-driving technology, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it. The Autonomous Vehicle Operations Specialist will optimize operations for thousands of tests to ensure safety and provide valuable feedback to engineers that improves our product.
- Thoroughly understand how our self-driving technology works. Stay on top of countless daily changes, both big and small
- Safely operate test vehicles for up to 10 hours a day to evaluate and help improve our technology. Consistently make exceptional judgment calls
- Build processes & systems from scratch
- Share detailed feedback on our technology & top priorities with engineers and managers
- Be the voice of Aurora to self-driving enthusiasts & curious onlookers
- Exceptional critical thinking
- Willingness to always be learning and excited to learn every day
- Safety first focus
- Ability to monitor alpha software on a laptop and type in a moving vehicle for extended periods of time
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written & attention to detail
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and clean driving record with 0 violation points required
- Meets driver requirements, including driving record and criminal history, under applicable regulations and laws in the state(s) in which the autonomous vehicle operations specialist will be working
- Comply with Aurora's policy regarding the use of alcohol and drugs by vehicle operators, which includes pre-employment, post-incident, and randomized drug testing
- Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend work, not always planned far in advance. Overtime is required. Up to 25% travel
- Your office is the vehicle. Expect to spend at least 80% of your time in our vehicles
- Proven record of success thriving in a team setting
- 2-4 years experience in operations, technology, robotics, or automotive field. Does not need to be direct industry experience
- Passion for vehicles and/or vehicle maintenance experience
- Expertise in vehicle technology -- for instance, Solar Racing team member
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering self-driving will improve lives around the world, expanding access to transportation, revitalizing cities, giving people more time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Greylock and Index Ventures.