Carousell is a consumer-to-consumer mobile marketplace.
Carousell is a classifieds marketplace that makes selling as easy as taking a photo, buying as simple as chatting. Launched in August 2012, Carousell began in Singapore and is now one of the world’s largest and fastest growing marketplaces in eight markets across Southeast Asia, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Carousell is backed by Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver, Sequoia Capital, and Naspers. The Carousell marketplace has a diverse range of products across a variety of categories, including cars, lifestyle, gadgets and fashion accessories.
Carousell is driven by our mission to inspire billions to start selling successfully and consuming more consciously. In this 2-sided marketplace, the Search and Recommendations team at Carousell plays a pivotal role in helping buyers find relevant & interesting content while delivering a fair share of visibility to all sellers. With millions of users and 100s of millions of listings on the platform, our biggest asset is “data” and our scalable & reliable data platform enables all product & business teams to generate maximum value out of this data in a reliable & responsible fashion.
We are now looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to join our engineering team in Taiwan, who would be responsible for Search, Recommendations & Data Platform delivery teams.
- Partner with senior architects, software & data, to build and scale highly secure, reliable and performant data management & content discovery systems
- Be responsible for defining team’s goals & success metrics and translating them into quarterly roadmaps & sprint plans, in partnership & alignment with product & squad leads.
- Drive execution by organizing teamwork, clear delegation, anticipating & aggressively removing obstacles and holding self & the team accountable for the outcome.
- Nurture a results-oriented culture with a strong focus on engineering excellence, execution, and craftsmanship
- Coach and mentor individual engineers to be more effective individual contributors and support them in their career development
- Contribute to technical vision & strategic planning in areas of direct responsibility and across engineering.
- Implement and evolve patterns, practices, and processes to support effective design, development, and delivery of customer value, for immediate teams and wider organization.
- Partner with Head of Data Science & Engineering to drive the technical and strategic vision, evolution, and innovation of engineering solutions in areas of direct responsibility
- User obsession and empathy.
- Drive and resourcefulness to persevere and overcome obstacles achieving challenging goals.
- Focus on impact and results. You work on the right things and get them done.
- Track record of successfully solving complex and ambiguous problems with multiple dependencies across teams
- High integrity and ability to positively collaborate with others and manage trade-offs and demands of multiple stakeholders
- Ability to think, speak and write succinctly and clearly.
- Analytical skills to understand & generate insights from user data. Fluency querying and working with data.
- 10+ years of total experience, including 5+ years experience in an engineering leadership or management role
- Strong strategic planning and organizational skills; ability to influence at all levels of the organization and across diverse functions
- Passion for leading and developing direct reports; solid track record of recruiting, retaining, and growing high performing talent across geographically distributed locations
- Rich hands on experience of leading the architecture, design and delivery of complex data pipelines for structured / unstructured data, building scalable data systems & services.
- Experience with architectural patterns for serving high RPS with sub-second e-2-e SLA
Good to have:
- Experience of working on information retrieval systems like search or recommendations
- Experience of productionizing & scaling machine learning models
- Experience of working in eCommerce space or a C2C marketplace
- Experience of working in an entrepreneurial/fast-paced environment