online trucking marketplace
NEXT was founded with a vision to implement solutions and bring change to a fragmented industry. As a FreightTech pioneer, we are designing technology-driven solutions to transform the $800B U.S. shipping & trucking industry. Our platform connects shippers with freight capacity for every step of a shipment’s journey.
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to provide world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion dollar puzzle and make freight painless.
Armed with experienced professionals from Google, Amazon, Airbnb and Uber, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. We have been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Sequoia Capital, GLP and Brookfield Ventures.
About The Role:
The mission of the Infrastructure team at NEXT is to provide the crucial building blocks to accelerate development across the entire engineering team, spanning the domains of cloud computing, SRE, CI/CD, and other developer tools. As a Senior Engineer on this team, you will be key in helping us improve our reliability and delivery velocity as we continue to grow our engineering team and product portfolio. You will have the opportunity to make an outsized impact on the future direction of our technical platform, processes, and culture. You should be comfortable and effective working remotely or with remote team members. To be successful, in addition to a strong technical background, you must also be an excellent communicator in all dimensions: able to truly listen and understand the most important challenges across the engineering org, while also being a champion and evangelist for the right technical solutions.
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
What You'll Do:
- Evolve and improve our public cloud infrastructure and associated tooling (Terraform), with a focus on reliability, maintainability, and security.
- Continuously maintain, apply best practices and improve our kubernetes platform.
- Manage and expand our usage of Istio.
- Optimize all aspects of the CI/CD build pipeline, reducing cycle time while maintaining a high level of quality/reliability.
- Create libraries, tooling, and documentation to help accelerate development across the org while adhering to best practices.
- Work closely with other engineering teams to develop a roadmap for improving our technical infrastructure and development tooling/pipeline. Identify and prioritize the key problems and bottlenecks.
- Play a key support role during production incidents and related retrospectives.
- Key player in the lifecycle of all projects, from technical design, implementation, deployment, to post-launch follow-up.
- Develop an understanding of the logistics industry and the top-level business goals for the company, and align technology initiatives with these priorities
Your Experience Might Include:
- 5+ years relevant engineering work experience.
- BS Degree in Computer Science or related field; or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience working with public cloud. AWS (strongly preferred), GCP, Azure.
- Track record of leading initiatives and working autonomously.
- Strong communications skills, and ability to influence/educate across the entire org.
- Ability to identify friction/barriers in the SDLC and create innovative solutions.
- Automation: Familiarity with cloud computing and infrastructure-as-code frameworks such as Terraform / Pulumi / CloudFormation. Terraform or Pulmi strongly preferred.
- Fluency with at least one or more modern programming languages such as Python, Golang, Ruby and Java.
- Docker and Kubernetes. Experience administering clusters is a must.
- Practical experience with CI/CD concepts and related tooling such as Spinnaker, ArgoCD, Jenkins, and CircleCI.
- Track record of effectively collaborating remotely with a distributed team.
Bonus points for experience with:
- Service meshes like Istio or Linkerd.
- Metrics/observability/tracing tools like Prometheus/Datadog/Logz/Jaeger.
- Experience writing K8 operators and developing webhooks.
What you'll get:
- Competitive Base Salary + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 401K w/ company match
- Vacation and Holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry