Analyzes aerial imagery to find actionable information.
GIS Technician - (contractor)
Job Description / Skills Required
Our mission is to understand what we’re doing on, and to, the Earth. This includes all of the economic and social trends that impact us. In order to see these details and work at scale, we leverage advanced computer vision and machine learning techniques. Critical to the success of this process are our data sources which are the lifeblood of our company.
Within the Content Organization at Orbital Insight, the Content Operations Team is charged with creating and maintaining foundational data layers for our products. We are hiring for a GIS Technician position, focused on Data Creation and Quality Assurance (QA). In this role, you will be responsible for curation of computer vision ground truth datasets and creation and QA of our library of areas of interest that we run all of our geospatial analytics on. You will be in charge of coordinating with the Program Manager of Content Creation on priorities, scope, feasibility, and timelines for data creation activities you are responsible for. You will also liaise with internal customers of this data including computer vision engineers, data scientists, solutions engineers, and product managers.
This is a hire for a 6 month contract position with a potential to convert into a full-time employee. This position can be remote but must be available during OI core hours of 9 AM to 6 PM PT.
- Produces data sets to include, labeling areas of interest and marking ground truth labels for our CV algorithms as required
- Responsible for managing and tracking the external data creation and maintenance tasks with our outsourced workforce
- Oversee internal data quality for the AOI Catalog, following established quality control practices and standards
- Run data production and quality assurance tasks to deliver quality data on schedule
- Coordinate with Data Scientists, Computer Vision Engineers, Software Engineers and Product Managers to support their data requirements
- Understand and inform our data creation backlog
- Have deep knowledge of GIS tools and standards
- Monitor our data production costs. Escalate and troubleshoot issues with our data creation workflow as they arise
- Experience working with geospatial data, especially imagery (satellite, aerial, UAV, and others), familiar with identifying objects of interest in remote sensing data
- Experience with QGIS
- Experienced in working with structured and unstructured information including diverse data formats such as raster, vector, tabular, etc.
- Experience working with one or more data labeling tools (Labelbox, ScaleAI, Sagemaker, Figure Eight, Hive, etc)
- Ability to coordinate with different teams and stakeholders located across the globe
- Able to perform duties independently and with general supervision
- Have a strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Able to manage time and priorities effectively to meet the deadlines
- Experience managing multiple projects concurrently
- US Citizenship required
- Experience with the Atlassian stack (JIRA, Confluence) preferred
- Experience with multiple common GIS tools (ESRI, Google Earth)
- Experience working with teams and stakeholders located across the globe
- Experience in Python
- Bachelor's Degree in Geography, Natural Resources, or science or technology field with significant application in GIS, or an equivalent combination of GIS experience and knowledge.