Lets people listen to music, sports and news from around the world.
Staff Software Engineer, Android
Job Description / Skills Required
TuneIn is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team, along with our current employees, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
TuneIn HQ – San Francisco, California
Remote from the following US locations will be considered: CA, WA, NH, TX, MA, NY, TN, NJ.
About the Position
From phones and tablets to TV and auto, TuneIn strives to create a great user experience across the Android ecosystem. We're looking for a talented staff engineer to help drive our products and codebase to the next level. You'll partner with cross-functional teams to design and develop new features, owning the project on the Android side. You'll be a key voice and contributor on our team as we continue to modernize our codebase using Kotlin and Android architecture components with an emphasis on writing clean, testable code. Come help us reinvent radio for a connected world!
What You'll Do:
- You’ll work with Product, Design, and other Engineering teams to define, architect, and develop new features
- You think Android is the best mobile platform out there and you’re eager to share your knowledge of its capabilities (and limitations)
- You’re a good, solid engineer that understands the payback of clean, tested, observable code. You have diverse experiences with languages, patterns, use cases. You have been the person evangelizing good engineering practices in your past experiences
- You’ll take wireframes and/or high-fidelity comps and translate them into robust, yet simple, efficient, and functional code
- You feel ownership over everything you ship; you would never call code “released” until you are confident it’s correct
- Recognize innovation opportunities and advocate for them
- Evaluate, improve, and optimize code
- Make those around you better through mentoring and collaborative development
- You have high standards and love upping them as needed. You love measuring sticks like metrics and dashboards since they tell you the truth about performance and productivity
Key attributes we would like you to have:
- Excellent working knowledge of Kotlin, Java and the Android SDK
- At least 4 years of hands-on development for Android, preferably both mobile and tablet interfaces
- Experience working with HTTP web service APIs
- You are a high I/O person - approachable, thoughtful, listen well, and help promote an environment with an easy exchange of ideas, knowledge, and practices. You have the experience and smarts, yet you are the humblest, most open-minded person in the room who executes beyond expectations
- Flexile, resilient, and positive-minded
- Good sense of usability and design in consumer applications
- You thrive when learning new technologies and do not believe in the one-size-fits-all solutions
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Experience with video or audio streaming technologies is a plus
TuneIn, the leading live streaming and on-demand audio service, brings together live sports, news, music, podcasts and radio from around the globe. With 75 million monthly active users, TuneIn is one of the most widely used streaming audio platforms in the world. TuneIn broadcasts over 100,000 owned & operated and partner radio stations, and boasts more than 5.7 million podcasts. With premiere distribution across 200 platforms and connected devices, TuneIn empowers listeners to ‘hear’ what they love wherever ‘here’ might be. TuneIn Premium subscribers also unlock exclusive access to commercial-free news from top networks like CNBC, CNN, FOX News Radio and MSNBC, as well as commercial-free music channels for every mood and activity. For more information please visit us at www.tunein.com and follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within TuneIn. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.