Intelligence Processing Unit
Founded just over four years ago, Graphcore's growth and impact has been little short of staggering. We have created a completely new processor, the Intelligence Processing Unit (IPU), specifically designed for artificial intelligence. The IPU’s unique architecture means developers can run current machine learning models orders of magnitude faster. More importantly, it lets AI researchers undertake entirely new types of work, not possible using current technologies, to drive the next great breakthroughs in general machine intelligence.
Our team is at the forefront of the artificial intelligence revolution, enabling innovators from all industries and sectors to expand human potential with technology.
What we do, really makes a difference.
What you’ll be doing
The Poplar SDK is a complete software stack, which was co-designed from scratch with the IPU, to implement our graph toolchain in an easy to use and flexible software development environment.
At a high level, Poplar is fully integrated with standard machine learning frameworks so developers can port existing models easily, and get up and running out-of-the-box with new applications in a familiar environment.
Below these frameworks sits Poplar. For developers who want full control to exploit maximum performance from the IPU, Poplar enables direct IPU programming in Python and C++.
As our VP SDK Development, you will play a critical role in the continued growth of Graphcore. Reporting into the SVP of Software, you will hold responsibility for developing our Poplar SDK as well as building and leading software engineering teams. This is a role that requires both strategic and tactical capabilities; combining systems/strategic thinking with being able to 'roll your sleeves up' and get things done. In this role you will be able first hand to drive the development of our software products.
Other responsibilities include:
- Develop a deep understanding of all of the core hardware and software technology Graphcore builds and how it is used from top to bottom of the software stack
- Be an externally facing technical advocate for Graphcore at events and conferences
- Support the cross functional software team at a senior level and ensure the delivery of Graphcore software products and its continuous improvement
- Work with the product and customer facing organization to prioritise and plan the roadmap and schedule for the Poplar SDK and associated tools
- Support recruitment activites across the SDK development teams to ensure continued growth with engineers of a high standard
- Work with the software development teams to improve processes and development workflows ensuring that developer productivity is a key focus
- Own the software release schedule and roadmap planning progress and its delivery
- Work closely with the infrastructure and QA organisations to ensure that product delivery and release are fully tested
- Help make Graphcores software products easier to use and more accessible to large numbers of developers
- Managing the quality processes around the development and delivery of all of Graphcores SDK product software
What you’ll bring
You will have demonstrable experience of leading teams supporting highly technical software products, experience in the high-performance computing or software tools areas is useful but not essential. Machine learning experience is a big plus but not absolutely necessary. It goes without saying that you will have high levels of credibility and the ability to influence and build strong relationships with senior stakeholders. A previous background as a software developer would also be advantages but not essential in this role.
As well as the above, you will also bring the following skills and experience:
- Degree or higher in CS, EE, or equivalent technical experience
- Strong track record in software development and delivery of software products along with supporting released products in the field
- Excellent understanding of the full software lifecycle and experience of managing and setting priorities for development activities
- Experience building and leading teams of highly technical professionals,
- Ability to understand complex technical issues, related business challenges, and work with others to develop strategies to effectively address them
- Excellent communications and presentation skills to technical and executive-level audiences, ability to tailor information for the target audience
- Motivated, dynamic, creative self-starter, able to generate solutions and promote them to highly technical teams
- Experience in quality processes such as ISO 9000/9001
We welcome people of different backgrounds and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive work environment that makes Graphcore a great home for everyone. We are an equal opportunity employer and want to build a work environment where everyone is happy, productive and respectful so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, just let us know.