Bird is a shared electric scooter company.
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we're just getting started.
The Senior Software Engineer tackles some of the most challenging technical and complex data problems impacting the world of micro-mobility.
Working closely with cross-functional teams, including Product, Data, and Operations, this role builds and supports our core backend services that are the backbone of Bird’s success.
- Design, develop, and maintain large scale data processing systems
- Develop and maintain core data pipeline
- Create, develop, and support technical infrastructure
- Build APIs and design documents
- Work closely with various business partners (Product, Firmware team, UI/UX)
- Lead architecture design
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- 3+ years of engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience with real-time streaming and data-processing frameworks using Flink, Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce, or similar technologies
- 2+ years of experience building data pipelines using Kafka or similar technologies
- Experience in Java, Kotlin, JVM based languages (Scala, Clojure, Groovy, JRuby)
- SQL experience (Postgresql is a plus)
- Distributed computing experience
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms
- Expertise in object-oriented design methodology and large-scale application development in an object-oriented language
- Understanding of distributed systems and service-oriented architecture
Technology we're working with:
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more, Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.