Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Mountain View, CA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, including three of the world’s leaders of self-driving technology, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it. Our software engineers work across the self-driving vehicle system, from algorithm design to high-performance embedded work to distributed implementations. We are developing robust, high performance, and highly reliable software.
- Working through the embedded system design process for LiDAR systems at various phases of the embedded systems design process.
- FPGA development including HDL development, simulation, high-speed digital design, algorithm development, verification, synthesis, and timing analysis.
- Embedded software development including high level system architecture and integration of hardware interfaces such as programmable logic hardware interfaces.
- Hands-on work using laboratory tools for board bring up and troubleshooting.
- Collaboration on writing internal specifications related to system architecture.
- BS/MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) development experience including HDL code development, simulation, test bench development, synthesis, and timing analysis.
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP) experience in processor or FPGA-based designs.
- Highly proficient in HDLs such as VHDL, Verilog, or System Verilog.
- Embedded software development experience in different domains such as processors, microprocessors (hard and soft), and microcontrollers
- Highly proficient in either C or C++.
- Strong embedded system development experience in a microprocessor and FPGA based mixed signal environment such as the Xilinx Zynq platform or comparable platforms such as Intel Cyclone/Arria SoC.
- Expertise with a vendor tool chain such as Xilinx Vivado or comparable / complementary platforms for FPGA development or embedded software development.
- Experience using a range of laboratory tools to verify board functionality including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, digital multimeter, function generators, or network analyzers.
- Proven ability to rapidly prototype algorithmic designs (e.g. control systems, DSP) using technologies such as MATLAB.
- History of using best practices with version control technologies such as git.
- Design work utilizing serializer / deserializer (SERDES) technology for high speed digital designs such as PCIe, 1Gbps / 10Gbps Ethernet, D-PHY, or M-PHY.
- General Purpose Programming Language Experience such as Python.
- Linux Experience.
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering self-driving will improve lives around the world, expanding access to transportation, revitalizing cities, giving people more time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.
- 2021 Summer Internship - Government Relations Mountain View, CA, US
- 2021 Summer Internship - IT Support Mountain View, CA, US
- 2021 Summer Internship - Sensor Characterization & Automation Mountain View, CA, US
- 2021 Summer Internship - Technical Product/Program Manager (TPM), Simulation Mountain View, CA, US